Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which one to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking to buy a Polaris, either the 325 magnum, 400 sportsman, or the 400 explorer. I don't know which one is more reliable being that of the 2 or 4stroke. And which drivetrain is better shaft or chain? Any comments on any of this would be great, good or bad.

Old 04-18-2002, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Go on the POLARIS section and ask.

The Polaris 2 strokes are very good engines. I would expect the 4 stokes to be good also but I do not have personal experience with them. I believe shaft drive is more reliable than the chain but, more expensive to repair. I think it will depend on what type of riding you plan to do.
The main advantage to the SPORTSMAN will be the IRS. It will have a much smother ride in comparison and more ground clearance.

I have also read that the 325 Magnums are very Underpowered.(Never rode one)
I would think that the Explorer 400 would have better power than a Sportsman 400 (2 stroke vs 4 stroke).

Just my opinion

Old 04-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

i wouldnt buy a polaris at all, look at honda or kawasaki. the magnum 325's top speed is only 35 mph, and it weighs around 650-750 pounds!!!

Old 04-18-2002, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard this before on the TOP SPEED of the Magnum, Like I said I have read many times that it is Under Powered for its size. I belive it is the same 325 that is in the TRAILBOSS and it is underpowered in stock form.
You are going to see alot of people DOG the polaris pretty bad, mostly those who have never owned them. I can say this,If you Properly Maintain them, they will hold up just as good as any others. Maintainance amounts to Greasing the MANY grease zerts from time to time,Adj chain from time to time (CHAIN DRIVE), and change the Oil at least 2 times a year(4 stroke). I would think this would lie true with all makes.
Most people that OWN POLARIS product Love them.

Old 04-20-2002, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice guys it is appreciated. Happy 4 wheelin!