Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Raptor or Z400? PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am kind of embarrased to ask, but I really need help on deciding which quad to buy and which is best for me. I am 38 yrs. young, in shape, very athletic, have had and raced everything from an XR75, RM 80, YZ100, RM125, CR250, 250R quad, etc. I have ridden the Raptor, Z400, DS650. I will be doing alot of trail riding, river sand dragging, and mx'ing. I really don't want to spend over 7,000 for starters. Which one is best for me? I can handle all just fine. I like reverse, but don't think I NEED it. I will definetly be hopping it up, and I don't like losing at anything!!! (I used to be pretty dang fast with plenty of top 3 finishes) PLEASE HELP!!!

Boxman ZZZZ-crazy???

Old 06-03-2002, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

Well, if you will be mx-ing then, you can leave the ds650 off the list. I personally think that the LTZ will be the better mx quad because of the superior handling. Power on it is top notch, especially for a track or trail. You can increase that power as well to keep up with the raptors in a straight line but, not sure that is the best for an mx bike. The only ATVs that really do it all well would be the c'dales or a 250r.

GL

Old 06-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Owning all but the Ds I'd get the Z. It doesn't have the low end hit of the Raptor, but a 450 kit should hang w/ 686 kits. The Z is lighter, lower, and smaller then the Raptor. Nobody can comment on a Z on the track in modded form yet. I suspect alot of woods and mxer's will be sweating Z's once modded like their machines. The Z revs great and shifting is the absolute best of any quad, SLICK.... In stock form a Z's handling will surpass the Raptors slight power advantage. I'm 36.....

Old 06-03-2002, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Sandgod, thanks for you input!!! Nice to get input from someone with experience. I have definetly ruled out the Raptor. Nothing against it, I just don't think it's the one for me. I know you said you had never owned a DS650, but what is your opinion of comparing the Z to the DS (no reverse, bigger, heavier, 1,400 higher)? Is the DS worth that much more? Also, who do you look for to come out with a big v-twin sport in the near future? My wife says I am over-thinking the whole thing but then again it can take a full week for her to decide on a pair of 50.00 shoes!!!

Thanks again for your reply!

Boxman

Old 06-04-2002, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Motoxpress, thanks for your reply!!! Is a stock DS that much faster than a stock Raptor or Z? I have heard that neither one comes close in a drag race. The only DS I personally have to base that on is 650MANIAC's DS760. I work with him and boy does he have an AWESOME ride. He has very, very little competion around here!!!

Thanks again,
Boxman

Old 06-04-2002, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

The ds is a great atv. Very powerful and very stable. It is not, however, a good track machine because it is too heavy and too big. It is an awesome dune machine though and was designed with sand in mind. I would recommend the Z400 for the all-around bike.

GL

Old 06-04-2002, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Any quad is good. I think what your looking for is a Z. The Ds is cut out for a certain type of rider and your description doesn't seem like it would be for you. The DS is a very stable dune machine....

Old 06-09-2002, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

you'll never beat the raptor on a z400,unless the z is way moded and the raptor is stock,why not just mod the raptor to handle better?

Old 06-16-2002, 12:26 AM
Range Rover

do u want a sweet quad? get a SPEED nuff said

Old 06-16-2002, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

funny, i was jt about to post a thread similar to this, except i need something that can become a baja racer later on. i was cnsidering the Z, but the 660 i so tempting. hopefully i can find a raptor a some dealership to sit on and get use to. i liked the Z's suspension, but maybe it was my size that made it feel, a lttle too cushy or something....

Quick Reply: Raptor or Z400? PLEASE HELP!!!