Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best time of year to buy quad??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks.

I'm looking to buy a quad in the next six to eight months, and will do some shopping.

Can't get into seriously "buying" mode until December at least.

Just wondering.. is there a good time of year to buy quads for the best prices??

Thanks,

FH

Old 07-17-2002, 10:34 AM
Range Rover

FishingHerb;

Nice to see a fellow Calgarian here!

I've found in our area that December to May seems to be the best time to buy, both in terms of dealer pricing and also manufacturer incentives.

If you want to know the dealers that I have found that offer the best prices, just let me know and I'll fire you an email.

Do you currently have an ATV?

Cheers,

Old 07-17-2002, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi! Yeah, nice to see the Calgarians here!

Thanks for the reply.

No, currently I don't have a quad, but have been looking pretty closely at the Polaris quads.
Particularly the Sportsman 500 or the Expedition 425 maybe.

I went in to Blackfoot MotoSports and was of course told the BEST time to buy is NOW!!
Sure.

I have never owned a quad before either. Seeing as how I can't get one until at least December anyway, I don't have to worry about the "now" .

I was thinking maybe there were good deals to be had at the Boat and Sportsmans show, but I've never been there, so I don't even know if they have quad dealers there. Probably do.

I'd like to hear whatever info you have.....

FH

Old 07-17-2002, 03:31 PM
Range Rover

Blackfoot offers decent prices, but they don't negotiate much on price and they don't allow you to take a test ride.

I'm not sure who else sells Polaris in Calgary, but I know Mountain Toys in Cochrane has been around for awhile and I know several friends who purchased sleds from them and were VERY happy with the experience (and price!). You can check out their website here: http://www.go-polaris.com/mtntoys/

Come January, you'll be able to get a great deal on a machine - both the dealers and the manufacturer are both trying to push product then. That us usually when you see the free winches, no interest, free accessories, free extended warrenty type offers.

If you like the Sportsman, you might want to check out the Arctic Cat 400i or 500i. They offer an awesome ride (full independent suspension) and are priced really good. Try Ralphs Arctic Cat or AGRO (took over MountainTech). AGRO will let you demo the units in a huge field beside the shop.

I've never found much ATV content at the Sportsmen show, but there is alot of Fishing stuff so you might enjoy it just for that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Let me know if you want any more information,

Cheers,

Old 07-18-2002, 03:24 PM
Range Rover

FishingHerb, CanadianViking is right, blackfoot will not move on their price but ARGO just opened up a store across the street, and you can get a new 500i arctic cat with a 2500 lbs. warn winch for $1000.00 less than a 500HO polaris. It's worth checking out. By the way the polaris has no 4 wheel braking when you are going down a hill, could be a little scary because the 4 wheel drive only engages when the rear wheels start to spin so when you are going down a hill you only have the rear wheels for engine braking.

Old 07-18-2002, 05:42 PM
Range Rover

BigCat,

Which AGRO do you usually go too? the North location (16th ave/84 ST NE) or the South (Blackfoot)?

I have only been to the North location, so I should add that the field I described above that they let you test in is at the North location.

Do you know where the staff from Mountain Tech ended up? (i.e., which location, North or South, or both)?

I'm heading down to the South location after work today to pick up a the new 2003 AC catalogue - they just got them in on Tuesday

Cheers,

Old 07-18-2002, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

around my area ( deep south ) , sport bikes are more $ in the spring than in the fall, and utilities seem to be a lil more 4 in the fall than in the spring.

Old 07-19-2002, 02:34 PM
Range Rover

CanadianViking I mostly go to the north store (3 minunits from my place), that's where I bought my 500i after I had taken it for a test drive. I think the staff is mostly at the north store, But Mark travels back and forth between the two stores.

Old 07-19-2002, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Well I bought my 500i in the winter and I get a great deal, $7756 plus winch($299.) This was the best deal in Manitoba. You could buy it out of province and get it shipped to you, I don't think it would cost more than $300 for shipping to Alberta. I live 10 hours north of winnipeg and its $300 for shipping to me, Calagary can't be much further than 10 hours from winnipeg. Anyways I think the best time to buy is winter. But if you want to get a 500i Cat then wait for the 03 500i.