Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking for ATV for myself and wife......

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for ATV for myself and wife......

ok...I'm not a MileHighRider yet but will be soon! I have been researching for sometime now and would like some advice. First of all, we will be using them for recreational purposes...maybe some snow plowing in the winter. Also, living in the Rocky Mountain area, I expect that we will be at high elevations at times with some good hills to climb. After some reading, it looks like the most reliable machine is Honda. I am NOT set on buying Honda's so please let me know if there are others that are solid. Anyway, another important piece of info is that I am 5'9" 170lbs and my wife is 5'3 130lbs.

The Honda's I am considering at the moment are the RINCON and RECON. The RINCON simply because of sheer POWER......My wife seems to feel more comfortable on the RECON although I would prefer the RANCHER just because its a tad bigger and may ride better. In speaking with some sales reps, they talk about the "fun" factor and the RECON they say is an extremely "fun" machine...primarily because the smaller size and 2WD. One of my questions is that I wonder if the 2WD will be able to handle all the trails out here...(ie...will she be able to go everywhere I can go with a bigger 4WD machine?). Also, I often wonder if the RINCON is too much machine.....I admit however, it would be tough not to have the biggest baddest....but I'll manage. With the sales reps so high on the RECON's "fun" factor, I wonder if the RINCON will be as fun as a smaller machine. I do realize it has both 4WD and 2WD so the 2WD will come in handy here. I've also heard some "chirping" on the engine braking with the RINCON but I've also heard some folks have been able to fix this problem and it is as good as the RUBICON in 2D.

Anyway, your opinions and thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MileHighRider......soon to be ATV(s) owner!

Old 10-18-2002, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

Before getting sold on a recon, I would look hard at the Suzuki Ozark. From what has been said in the suzuki forum it sounds like more bang for your buck.

Old 10-18-2002, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

MileHighRider,

Sounds like you are interested in the both of two worlds. One light fast fun machine and one bad, rock crawling, mud slinging speed machine. I think two differenct machines is the correct way to go. I appears you have only visited the Honda shop. And although Honda is a quality product, I believe you may wish to visit other manufacturers before settling on one brand. I have no brand loyality. I own both a Kaw and Suzzuki. Before we bought our Ozark, I did a lot of looking and research. It came down to the Recon, Kaw 300 and Suzuki. To answer your question, No your 2 Wheel drive will not be able to go through all trails you do with a 4 wheel drive if these trails have significant mud. However, the 2 wheell drive can go through a very muddy trail with the right tires and good driver. You wife should have no problem staying up with you on a 4 wheel drive if she goes around a few bad holes. But since you are in a rocking country, mud may not be a problem. The 2 wheel drive will not rock crawl like a 4X4 either. But that is not what it is designed for. On the other hand the 2 wheel drive is blast to drive. We decided on the Ozark for our last purchase and have very please with it. It is a blast to drive. Very nimble and light. Will go just about anywhere my Kaw does. Slides around corners and you dont have the heavy front end turning problem. My whole family prefers it over the 4X4. After you look at all the other 250 class machines, you'll probably decide on either the Honda or Suzukii as well.

As far as the Rincon goes. It has a great ride and should serve you well if that what you decide. Cand say much about it as it is relatively new. Be sure it has 2 wheel drive 4 wheel drive capability. I suspect you are looking for a automatic. I would recomend you look into the Kawasaki 650. Do some research on the board. That should help a bunch. I would recomend a differential locking front drive. These are great for mud and a must for rock crawling. Kawasaki has a lever and great brake system. My next purchase, however will probably be a Kodiac 450. It too has selectable 2 wheel drive 4 wheel drive with locking differential. Also it has a low and high range transmission that would be great for towing and rock climbing. A moderate size machine and cheaper than the big bores. Very nice instrumentation as wheel.

I wish Suzuki would put a locker in thier line up of Eigers and Vinsons. Most all the brands are dependable these days. Some more than others. Researching the board will bring up the good bad and ugly.

Good luck with your purchase and us know what you decide.

Old 10-19-2002, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

Go with the Ozark for your wife.....best 250 out.