Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What is the best motocross quad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best motocross quad?

I'm still thinkin about saving up for the gasgas because I have to wait until I sell my dirt bike before I can buy anything anyway.

lt250r91

Let me know if you find a way to get more travel at the rear of the gasgas, 7'' is really short for mx.
Would a longer shock work?

Everyone keep those opinions coming and thanks to those who have already replied.

Old 02-08-2003, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider

i have some friends who are racing mx and they love their z's... theyve both had to gusset the upper shock mounts because of cracks but other than that theyre good... you might want to hold out till honda comes out with something.. its not a matter of IF but rather WHEN

Old 02-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Racer

From what I've been told by a the GasGas sales rep is that the rear shock is the same one that is on the dirtbike. He thinks that they resricted the travel internally do the to the airbox hit the swing-arm. I planning on having someone remove the resriction (if there is one) or at least reduce it to get it up to 9 or 10 inches of travel. I'm planning on cutting the bottom off the airbox it from crashing into the swingarm. I'll post the details as soon as I have it done. It's looking like it'll have to wait until the first round of the GNCC's (March 1-4). Since GT Thunder isn't returning phone calls.

Old 02-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

elsancho

I would like a honda, but I had a 400ex and it wasn't powerfull enuogh. It could be a looooong wait for a new honda, but I'm sure it will be great when they finally do it. They usually do things right the first time.

lt250r

Keep me updated about the rear shock, I probably won't buy until at least April.

Old 02-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

ok in motocross weight is a issue. think about it there isn't much wieght u can take off of a quad that wieghs over 400 pounds such as the predator i would definitly consider a C'dale or even a Z400 more sure the Predator is nice but not that nice

Old 02-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

Good point about the weight I hadn't really thought about that. BTW I feel your pain, I traded my 400ex for a ktm 125sx, what was I thinking[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

My brother has a Z, and I have a Predator, and we switch rides all the time, and you barely feel the weight difference. There both great atv's, but if I were to MX, I would get the Predator. If you were to put a +2 chrom-moly rear axle, and wider a-arms on the Z, then put on Razer tires front and rear, then how much would the Z weigh. Plus the Predator shocks are way beefer and add 2" more travel. Has better skids, stainless steel brake lines and believe me, has more power. Even my brother won't argue with that. The Z was dyno at 32hp while the Pred at 42hp. There both first year models, and so far, both are holding up good.

Old 02-15-2003, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

the predator in my opinion is a crappy mx bike why would you trade your 400 in may i ask if you wanted more power put a 440 kit in it and a hot cam you can make them have all the power that you could ever need. CT racing will put a kit in for a decent price and it is just as reliable as a stock one but with twice the power if your looking ata Z400 they dont have much more power than a 400ex plus the have weak frames.

Old 02-16-2003, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

I traded off the 400ex because I wanted something different, so I got a bike and I found out pitching a quad sideways is more fun than railing a berm with a bike.

At this point the C-dale has moved to the top of my list, I like the fuel injection and aluminum frame. The bankruptcy situation still bothers me. Will I be able to get parts? I've seen the Speed for around $7000, is that a good price?

Next on my list is probably the gas gas 450 and then the Predator.

Old 02-16-2003, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

I saw a new speed listed at 5299 and the cannibal was 4999. Here is the link Cheap Cannondales

Quick Reply: What is the best motocross quad?