Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Foreman ES vs. Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2000 | 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

Well I am glad you got the choice of bike you wanted did you ever think though you could have went to another dealer and ask for a request I guess everyone is going to down Polaris like Honda doesn't have any bad dealers yeah right...the only smarter thing you could of done though is went out and bought you 95 models because you would have got the same machines...and hope you aren't planning on riding them in to rough country because even with Polaris having some reliability issues anybody could see the best deal would have been to buy the 5 year warranty then you would have had the best climbing mudding bike that would have cost nothing to repair if it did break down, mine has 400 miles on it not one bit of trouble and there is no place rougher on bikes than WV...The Pro riders fly in here just to ride these hills because of the challeng and this is no bull just ask around. If you got the honda's for back roads you made a wise choice...and I really love the ones on here that keep talking about the belt slipping if you don't have enough sense to get some plumbers putty and few extra clips that cost $3.00 and this is even if your belt does get water shouldn't go around repeating this rediculous sh#t. And you say well you shouldn't have to water proof the casing on a $6000 dollar bike...well you shouldn't have to tear brake drums down to clean and ride a bike that don't have half of the luxurys of the other bikes for the same price....

Old 04-19-2000 | 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

I currently own a 2 Polaris machines, so I am a little biased. When I was first looking at buying my first four wheeler, I considered the Honda and the Polaris. I decided on the Polaris because I loved the auto tranny and the four wheel drive system. Don't listen to people telling you that the belt will slip. I have had mine in two foot of mud and water and have not had the belt slip at all. Honda makes a fine machine and I would not knock there quality. The Polaris's have come a long way on reliability and I have not had any major trouble with mine. At the end of the day, the Honda and the Polaris are both assembled in the US of foreign and domestic parts, but I had to lean to the American company, but that is just how I am. Like I said, I have not regretted buying the Polaris and did not consider another brand when I bought my wife her four wheeler.

Old 04-19-2000 | 04:41 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for setting the belt slippage thing straight. I've never had any problems with the brake drums either so that sounds like some more of the same **** you were talking about.

Old 04-19-2000 | 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

This Sledder guy?He has a sarcastic remark often in here.Im wondering what kind of snowmobile he owns?====BILL

Old 04-20-2000 | 12:45 AM
Range Rover

Polaris 700 RMK. I won't make the mistake of buying another polaris sled either.

Old 04-20-2000 | 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

If you picked honda because of the Dealer then you made a good choice. Around here the local Honda and Suziki Dealerships suck. The Yamaha and Polaris Dealerships take better care of you. All brands have problems some more than others and if you ride than beyond there limit you will break somthing. And when you do getting replacement parts fast for you business will be of top priority.
Good Luck and GOOD DAY

Old 04-24-2000 | 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

POLARIS!!!.You all can argue what you want, but im sure. I am upsessive and when i get into things I get into them far and good.
>>>DO NOT COSIDER ARCTIC CAT!
!> 1.They may have done much research, but they do not have nearly the amount of experience that Polaris does in ATV's, and they don't sell nearly as close to as many as Polaris does.
> 2. Polaris are the most popular automatics. Sure Arctic Cat has more rack capacity, but that is about all. Polaris tows 1225lbs. (recommended)
based on braking, but I gaurantee you can pull more. A.C. don't.
> 3 Polaris has a better 4 wheel drive than A.C.. Sure, I give A.C. my compliments in building a great bike, but all I am saying is that it dont compare to Polaris......I could go on more but i won't.
!!>>>DO NOT COSIDER HONDA
1. Polaris can tow more (1225lbs.) than any Honda (excluding **Rubicon5004x4, because I don't know the specs. yet). Honda Foreman and Ranchers can only tow 850lbs!!! Polaris's racks can hold way more than Honda's(if you have read the brochures then I'm sure you know.)
2. In my opinion, based on the two FACTS in #1, already you could tell that Polaris is a way better workhorse.Polaris can just do work, better!
You can also go to the polaris forum and see that people that work with Polaris, like farmers, love Polaris's capabilities. Polaris is the way ta go.honda builds very superb quality bikes. Hondas are awesome! but, in this situation, Polaris kicks.

POLARIS:
1. better towing cap. 1225
2. better rack cap. than Honda
3. Way stronger workhorse
4. Smoothest ride in industry, most popular automatic(more than 1 million sold), very nice.
>>>>> READ THIS!!!!!>>>>> THE ONLY difference between the Polaris Magnum and Sportsman is the independent suspension on the Sportsman. The sportsman "tiptoes" over rocks and obstacles. Im not putting down the Mag's ride, it is sweet too! All I AM SAYING IS THAT THE INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION IS MORE OF A WANT THAN A NEED. IT WILL REQUIRE MORE TIME TO GREASE IT AND MANTAIN IT. THE SPORTSMAN HAS ABOUT 24 ZERKS BECAUSE OF THE SUSPENSION. THE MAG IS THE VERY SAME THING AS THE SPORTSMAN. But I do like the sportsman's ride beter. So if you are gonna be goin deep woods and big time off road, get the sportsman.

***honda's fourtrax rubicon will probably be one of if not the best big bore atv. The tranny on it is gonna be the best. Only thing i would look out for is all of the electrical stuff on the bike. I don't like all the computer stuff. I would definately wait out the first model to see if everything is all good on the Rubicon, Then go for the 2002 Rubicon if all is good. Honda makes world class atv's, and i feel this will eventually be another. My local dealer already has deposites for five!!!
The 2001 Fourtrax Rubicon is available in May, 2000

Old 04-24-2000 | 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

POLARIS, YOU MADE A BIG MISTAKE! POLARIS WILL OUT WORK HONDA ANYDAY!BETTER GROUND CLEARANCE TOO!
by like 4 in.!!!!

Old 04-24-2000 | 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

What is the definition and derrivation of "upsessive"?

Old 04-24-2000 | 06:59 PM
Range Rover

Go Polaris.

Quick Reply: Foreman ES vs. Sportsman 500