Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Beginner Looking to buy new quad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Looking to buy new quad!!!

I never said i wanted the raptor as a first, i will get it as a second. Ok i'll forget about the moto440, i probably won't be able to use all of that performance anyways. So i'll stick with the kfx400, or a white z400. I already have a job so i'll be paying for the atv, my mom agreed that she'll use her credit card(good credit) so that the apr wont be so high and maybe so that i'll be approved to do one of their special deals going on with the free bonus bucks. I can use that money to get me some good quality gear from the dealer.

Old 03-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iwanna - I'll give some advice that I bet you don't want to hear:

Since you are working hard for your money and/or borrowing some from your mom, make your 'first bike' a used one. Instead of spending about 6K for a new one, find a used bike for about 1/2 that. Since you are new to ATVing, there is no way you can figure out exactly what you are looking for and what kind of riding you will like to do until you get some ride time built up. Once you get a few months or so experience in riding, you can sell the used bike for a very little loss on the investment and you will be armed with the experience and knowledge that you need to know which 'ultimate' bike will be right for you.

While you won't find any used Z's out there yet, there are many used Raptors, 400ex's and Warriors out there that can give you a taste of sportbike riding at a decent price. My first ride was a used Warrior that I bought for $3,000. I rode it for 9 months, discovered that I really would prefer and needed something with 4wd, and sold the Warrior for $2,800. It only cost me $200 to have an ATV for 3/4 of a year and I moved on to a more 'ultimate' bike. It costs much more to learn that lesson if you start out with a new ride.

Good luck. Ride smart. Buy smart.

Jaybee

Old 04-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

i kind of aggree with chad here i think before you jump into the high performance market i would get something smaller. imo you should just buy a used blaster keep it for a year i know its not going to be that fast or great but it will allow you to learn how to use the clutch and have some experience on a quad then after year or 2 then buy whatever you want new maby there will be a new 450 yamaha quad that will be better then the z400. i just think its good to have experience on something smaller then just go bigger. 2 many people in quading and snowmobiling just go buy something that has 2 much power for them and either they will get hurt or wreck there machine. well thats just my 2 cents but ya for you and the quads you listed and z400 sounds like a good choice id stay away from the pred since its still in new and the moto with them going bankrupt. good luck with your new quad lata

Old 04-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

but hey do want you want i'm getting a new quad next year 2....but i'v been riding since i was about 4 so i still think you should buy a smaller used something first

Old 04-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Royalty Rider

I dont know, I am sort of torn. My brother bought his first "new" quad with his own money at the age of 14(400EX). He had some prior experience but not much. He ended up okay, loves his bike and has made many mods since then.
There in only one way to learn sometimes. I think Iwannaatv should do what makes him happy now, even if it isnt the best thing for him. There is only one way to learn, if there is anything to learn at all.

Old 04-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point dancingqueen, but this could be a very expensive mistake. Even if you have money out the wazoo, its not always better to buy brand new. You can get such a better deal buying a quad with 20 hours on it. A used 400/300ex, blaster, warrior, or the like would be a great introduction to the sport. When you get into quads starting with the 400ex, you get into the really HI-PO stock arena. That can be bad for kids and beginners in a lot of ways. I rode my fathers 250r when i was 11, but I wasnt very good at controlling it. Big and powerful machines dont allow for many beginner mistakes. I know that iwannaatv is about legal driving age, so that makes it legal for him to actually buy something bigger than a 90cc.

I agree with chad and jaybeecon55 in that you shouldnt jump into the hi-po sport quad segment head first as a beginner. My father raced 4 trx250r's, an ltz 250r, 2 250r trikes, and a few other things before he got his first raptor. But when he got it he almost rolled himself off the back right away. He ended up crashing in the woods the next spring and almost lost his life. Now there were many factors that went into that, but the main point is that there are no room for mistakes when you are going that fast. Be careful, thats the most important thing.

if you are really going to pay out the rear for a new quad, the predator runs about the same as a cannibal or a raptor, for cheaper. possible reliability, reverse, and transmission issues aside, it looks to be a better bet from my seat. JMHO.

Old 04-14-2003, 03:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I hate to break it too you but cross the Moto 440 off of your want list because the price is <u>OVER $12,000</u>! If I were you I would go for something a lot less expensive and pick the KFX 400. It is a great quad and handles like a champ and has plenty of power for those weekend and weekday ventures. Happy Trails!

Old 04-14-2003, 03:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh Yea. As for the Polaris Predator I wouldnt get it because it has not been out long enough to prove it's reliability and engine. Later!

Old 04-14-2003, 04:21 AM

Now first of all your a beginner right? And those quads are way too powerful to start ridin' with now I suggest maybe get a Honda 300ex,or a Yamaha Warrior and then maybe in 2 years you are really good you could sell your old quad and buy a Z400. The other quads you gotta look into for example: Look how much power they have,weight, and expereince requirerd(believe me you need the experience to ride a powerful quad or you might end up killing yourself.)

Old 04-14-2003, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider

Don't listen to these guys about the Predator. If that's really what you are looking for, you will PLENTY of riders on the forums who love their Pred. Other than a couple of small issues, it's been a remarkable machine. If nothing else, the suspension and handling are FAR superior to the 400EX, the Z 400, the Raptor etc....

Quick Reply: Beginner Looking to buy new quad!!!