Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Auto vs Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 01:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto vs Manual?

Is it safe to say that most problems with the belts seem to be water getting in them and they start slipping? In depth, how much water can the Kodiak run though without problems? For my use, I would only drive though water less than 6 inches deep across our creek. Should this be a problem?

Old 05-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Auto vs Manual?

We've ridden our Sportsman 500's in water covering the tires, we've never had a belt slip. Our's or 2002 models and they are sealed up pretty good. Maybe the older models had problems, but not the newer ones. From what I've read, people have belts slip when they don't use low when they ought to. That isn't the machines fault. We have over 7000 miles riding in the mountains of Tennessee with no problems. I've ridden with Eigers, Kodiaks, Ranchers and the like. After you have seen those people get wore out riding them, you will appreciate your IRS. It's ok to defend the machine you buy, but you can't compare the straight axle ride to the independent.

My son, dad and niece all ride 500's, we are buying mama a new one real soon. I trust the machine enough to feel comfortable with them on it. I can't say that for alot of other ones.

Old 05-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Auto vs Manual?

Predator- What did you think of the Eiger and Kodiak after riding them?

Old 05-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Auto vs Manual?

I didn't have to ride them. I rode behind them all day, watching the machine and the terrain beat them up. It's rough and rocky where we ride, and if you don't have a good suspension underneath you, your body bears the brunt. The ranchers I've ridden with were by far the worse. Ride behind a machine with IRS and you'll see what I mean. We ride all the time with a guy who had a Rancher, then a Prairie. He used to laugh at us on our Polaris. That is, until he rode behind us. He now owns a 700 Sportsman. He wishes it had the acceleration of the Prairie, but sacrfices that for the ride. We do plenty of rides of 10-12 hours, not gravel road, or smooth trail riding. On his previous machines he would be pretty beat up, with his new one, that is not the case.

Buy the machine you like, but you cannot compare the ride of IRS to that of a straight axle. Especially on a utility.

Old 05-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default Auto vs Manual?

smokinbarrel, I have a Grizzly and have had absolutely no problems with the belt slipping. I've had it buried in water/mud up to the bottom of the gas tank and pulled the tranny drain plug just to make sure the belt wasn't wet and not a drop came out. Autos are real nice on long rides or when your doing alot of stop and go riding......just mash the gas and go......no shifting required.If you're going to do ALOT of heavy towing I might suggest a manual but the autos are o.k. in my opinion for average everyday towing. I pulled a friend of mine's atv back to camp with her on it after it broke down out in the middle of the woods and it took about an hour to get back but I had no problems with the belt slipping. Another thing to consider is that when the time comes to perform maintainence on the tranny do you want to replace things such as gears, shift forks, clutch plates etc. or simply adjust or replace a $40 belt. There are simply more moving parts in a manual tranny than on an auto. Another suggestion.......if you can afford it, buy a quad with IRS......you won't regret it unless you like to do alot of doughnuts in the sand. One disadvantage to the Rubicon is that it's always in 4wd......I don't think it has a 2/4 engagement switch. I also talked to a friend of mine who used to sell Hondas and he said that they had some trouble with the Rubicon trannys. I can't say I know that to be true from personal experience, just what I heard. If you do buy an auto, USE LOW RANGE when towing or traversing steep hills or you might experience premature wear on the belt. Hope this helps in your decision.

Old 05-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer
Default Auto vs Manual?

Yamaguy- Thanks for the info!! I believe I'm leaning torwards the Kodiak 400 or 450, or the Eiger 400. Basically, it will come down to which one offers the best price. I've been looking into a Polaris, but, I just can't bite on one, because of past history and stories about their mechanical dependability. "IRS" = Independent Rear Suspension?? correct?

Old 05-09-2003, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer
Default Auto vs Manual?

Yes, "IRS" = Independent Rear Suspension. Now, the Kodiak's do not have IRS in the back, but they do have it in the front. I have road both the 400 Kodiak and the 450 and both are pretty sweet. As soon as I can get my trailer hitch installed on my car, I will be bringing one of them home myself (though I am not sure which yet) Here are the best prices I have found around Missouri.

Kodiak 400 2wd = $3950 Out the door
Kodiak 400 4wd = $4650 Out the door
Kodiak 450 4wd = $5300 Out the door

These are from www.procycleusa.com in Columbia Missouri.

Its a really big decision, but for this big of $'s, take your time making your decision and ride them before you buy, if you haven't already. Be sure to get the one you want. Don't forget, when you get your title, you will have to pay sales tax too, just like your car.

Old 05-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Range Rover
Default Auto vs Manual?

Out the door means tax and everything.

Old 05-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Auto vs Manual?

i think u should look at the manual with the push button shifing. I have a foreman 450 esp and we use it on the farm and its nice to be able to keep it in a low gear for the power. Also i mean if u want crusing i know the foreman is a great comfort and its speed isnt bad mine goes 50mph so i would look at the manual

Old 05-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Auto vs Manual?

I am sort of new to ATV's and have been debating the manual vs auto trans. I currently beleive a manual is best for me, but correct me if I am wrong. It seems to me it would be easier to maintain a constant a speed when using the ATV for certain applications such as spraying weeds and pulling a mower. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual?