Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Auto vs Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto vs Manual?

My planned breakdown in ATV usage:

40% Work (hauling deer, logs, snow plow(ing), plowing (food plots))
60% Easy Riding (hunting, fishing, backpacking)

Bottomline, I really like the auto's, but will go manual if any hint of problem may arise from using auto in working conditions. What do you suggest?

Thanks,
St. Louis, MO

Old 05-05-2003, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default Auto vs Manual?

None of mine are used for any "work". I do know a lot of people using autos on the farms around me without a bit of trouble. Can't give any insight from personal experience though.

Old 05-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Auto vs Manual?

I have a sp500 and have used it to haul logs, trailer (17 cu. ft.), ride trails, mud. Only time had any clutch related trouble is when I was up to the seat (stuck) on a stump and had to sit long enough to winch out. Got water in clutch. I like the auto. Since it has a hi/lo going from woods to road have to stop and move selector to hi.

Old 05-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto vs Manual?

Cant beat an automatic.I have had very little trouble out of mine what trouble I have had was due to my stupidity.

Old 05-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Range Rover
Default Auto vs Manual?

My rubicon is primarily a work quad and I bought it because of the hydrostatic transmission more than any other reason.I find that being in the right gear all the time and having such a smooth transmission makes it a better work machine. On the other hand I do differentiate between the two honda automatic transmissions and the belt drive that other manufacturers use.I myself would trust a manual transmission more than a belt drive for a work machine.

Old 05-06-2003, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Auto vs Manual?

Hello. I'm not sure which auto your looking at but I have an 02 Kodiak and absolutely love it. I use it for trail, mud, hunting and plowing. I've had no problems at all. You will especially enjoy the auto when hunting. It rolls along great, if you need more or less speed it is easily done.

The only time I ever had slipping problems is when my snorkles come loose from the engine letting water it. Now I make it a point to check the clamps on a weekly basis.

Good luck and happy shopping.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default Auto vs Manual?

Here's the scoop! Looking at prices, my picks are the Kodiak 400 4x4, Suzuki Eiger 4x4, or the Honda Rancher 4x4. I would like to get the new Rancher coming out `04 (400 cc, AT model), but I don't think many dealers will deal, being that it is a new model. So, from what I gather most people don't have problems with their belt shifter, direct drive systems. So, I suppose I'll pick the Kodiak or Eiger. The Kodiak sure gets alot of good reviews! It may be hard to beat. Not a bad price either. But, the Eiger sure is a big ATV for the dollars.

My hands down pick would be the Honda Rubicon, all hydraulic clutch <== I think that's right. Anyway, it would be the best choice for what I plan to use it for, plus it doesn't have a belt. I can live with the belt system, but it does make me nervous, especially if I decided to cross a deep water hole or mud puddle.

What about the old clutch system (semi-auto)? Is this type of system dependable? Or, do they have problems, for instance the gear or clutch wears out easily?

Trending Topics

Old 05-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default Auto vs Manual?

auto all the way

Old 05-06-2003, 10:03 PM
Range Rover
Default Auto vs Manual?

Im with chunky, all the way.

Old 05-07-2003, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto vs Manual?

If they didn't make automatics, I wouldn't own an ATV. I think the trick to never having problems when working them in knowing when to use low-range. Belt or no belt, when used right they are very trouble free.

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual?