CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Need info to adjust valve clearances

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info to adjust valve clearances

I have a 2010 Outlander 800R max that sounds like a valve clearance needs to be adjusted. The mechanic is saying he needs to strip down the engine, check the timing chain, the firing order, etc, etc just to check the valve clearance so I will just do it myself.

I have done it on many cars and bikes so somebody please tell me the gap size and where to set the correct position of the engine to adjust each valve.

Many thanks

Old 01-27-2015, 10:59 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

All the twins 500,650,800 are done the same way.
Looks like taking the plastic off is the only hard part.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow! Thank you very much

You have made my day.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Hardest part of doing the valves on the outlanders (2015 at least) is getting to them. Once you're in there, it's easy as pie. Have lots of bandages on hand for the busted knuckles and an extendable magnet for dropped bolts LOL.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. I have noticed that when I start up the engine sounds good but by the time the cooling fan cuts in the tap tap is obvious along with a lot of other slight knocks, gear noise etc. Is this normal for a Rotax engine? All my Honda bikes etc have no engine noise at all.

The first thing I will do will be to change the oil as I suspect it is no good, possibly overheated. Then if I can still hear the tap tap I will adjust the valve clearances. Or maybe just do it anyway.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

If you could post a sound file of it, video or whatever, it would make it easier to tell. They aren't the quiestest of engines. About on par with Polaris I believe in terms of knocking / pinging sounds.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

406 and 604 Rotax engines we had in the old ATK dirt bikes were had were a little noisy,can't judge on Can-Ams between Polaris atvs,but nothing held a candle to engine noise the old Cannondale 440 made. Hated to even hear these things crank up and idle even straight out of the crate.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by NLWarrior01
If you could post a sound file of it, video or whatever, it would make it easier to tell. They aren't the quiestest of engines. About on par with Polaris I believe in terms of knocking / pinging sounds.
Thanks I will try. My internet connection is awful but I should be able to upload enough.

I don't have anything to compare with here as I have the only big ATV for over 100 miles.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK guys I made a short movie. The tap tap tao and knock knock seem like they are louder in real life than in the video but please listen and let me know what you think. I don't think I can post images or videos yet so I have put the video on my server and will put a link to it at the end of this message if it is allowed.

http://www.frankwoolf.com/CanAmEngineNoise.MOV

Old 02-19-2015, 09:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Sounds the same as this guys 800. Must be just the way it is. I ride with a friend with a 2009 800 outty but I just never really paid attention.

Quick Reply: Need info to adjust valve clearances