CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Heat coming off engine near feet

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat coming off engine near feet

I have seen other posts with this issue being identified. My wife rides an outlander 550? Model and it has caused heat rash on her right calf. Wearing boots is not a solution for her. I have seen posts about a Hayden 3647 temp control relay....does this help. Will the authorized dealer do this retrofit?

When at the service department yesterday the tech recommended heat shielding but the areas that would be shielded do not seem to be where the heat is coming from.....it is like a blow drier blowing hot air on the right and left where your feet are placed. Is it worth the investment to do the heat shielding? Will it solve the problem?

Thanks,

Old 10-31-2018, 07:36 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine heat is an issue for Can Am ATVs. It is usually associated with the bigger displacement machines. I have done some heat mitigation activities on my Can Am Limited. It had heat on my left calf. Not on the right side like you describe. Running the radiator fan more, as with a Hayden controller, or frankly a "always on" manual switch does help move the hot air out. Heat shielding can help quite a bit. I did exhaust pipe wrap and additional heat shielding. I also found the CVT cooling air exhausts right on my left calf. So I make a little aluminum shield that helps direct the hot air out the back of the machine.

Just study the reasons you are getting engine heat dump on your leg, and figure out ways to direct it elsewhere.

David