CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Another chain question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 05:14 PM
CED
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another chain question.

I guess it depends on how much bigger your gonna go on the rear.Tell them what your doing,they may be able to help you.You may be ok with the stock # of links.

Old 05-28-2003, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

I need a NEW chain also! I am tired of constanly cleaning the mess that the O-ring chain makes. It slings grease all over my quad I will not go back with an O-ring chain, where can I get a NON-O-ring chain??
I have to ask; assuming that you use the same type and ammount of grease on your non o-ring chain as you did on your o-ring chain, why would there be any less of a mess? i mean, if you put grease on a chain, it will still fling it off as it goes around...right?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
If I sound like a smart a$$ thats not my intension, just trying to understand your rationalle.

The reason that a non o-ring chain is hard to find is because it can't hold a candle to an o-ring chain in terms of durability and ease of maintenance so most people don't want them. You might try changing your brand of chain lube or use less. I use a lube that you spray on and let dry. I apply it once a day and it doesn't fling off. Ive used it for...(man I sound old) 20 years or so and my chains have always given me maximum life.
My suggestion...keep the o-ring chain - chuck the chain lube. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-28-2003, 09:57 PM
Range Rover

JUST A THOUGHT....
Check your swingarm bearings. Mine loosened up making my think I couldn't tighten my chain anymore.
Just put something under the back of the swingarma and wiggle the tires. Any play and you've got more work to do.
T

Old 05-28-2003, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Stick with the oring. The lube is basically to prevent rust and lube the orings to keep them from getting dry. The orings keep the chain internally lubed. You have to try different types of lube to see what works best. Its hard to find one that stays on but doesnt gum up. I found that after I wash mine to put it up its best to lube then. WD40 works great. By the time you ride its dry enough to not fling all over your quad but at the same time it does what it needs to. Silkolene works well in this way also. I do this and mine has never rusted although I get a little fling but not much. Sometimes none at all.

Old 05-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

You might call motosportoutlet. They always seem to have cheap prices.1-866-667-6288.

Old 05-28-2003, 11:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i'd stay with the o-ring and try chain wax, just put it on before you go and it will be dry.

Old 05-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What is the best way to CLEAN the O-ring chain?? WHat brush,soap/solvent/things do yall use. I just think my chain is wore out,and the inside grease is coming ont of the links, but a checked and ALL the O-rings are still intact.

It just ERKS the heck out of me to try and keep a sharp quad,and thiers grease everywhere![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I will try and clean the **** out of it and then put some chain wax or xomething on it, I dont use heavy lube on my chain, and I alway wipe the excess lube off with a towel. Maybe I am not cleaning it good enough.

Bigger.

Old 05-29-2003, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know but it sounds like it. Ive never had this happen. Look closely to see if the orings look cacked or if any are missing. Maybe try a wax its a little thicker. They say dont use and harsh products on them because they could damage the orings. I use gas on a rag. Its very messy and takes time but thats how I do it. Then I lube it. I only lube after I wash. Thats just to keep the rust off.

Old 05-29-2003, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

kehale, has a good point! I had trouble keeping my chain tight and my axle bearings were the cause. Check your axle bearings as well! After I replaced my bearings I have no trouble tightening my chain.

Old 05-29-2003, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

Buttfungus,
That's what happend to me, too.
When it's on the ground, you don't notice the bearings are loose, as they're tapered and "self center" with the weight on them. When it's off the ground, it's obvious.
-T[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Another chain question.