CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Engine Ice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Ice.

I heard that Engine ice was good for your water pump as well because it has some lubrication properties to it. The downfall to this is that (from what ive heard) the coolent will eventually works its way through the heard gasket. I think this happened to Mario at dumont last time i saw him there. I'm going to go with redline coolent aditive, an inline cooler, and im going to get a ceramic piston, and possibly some head pieces. Running cooler is very important on a performance quad.

Old 06-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

i am getting ready for a coolant change, engine ice is an environmentally safe product. that alone is a good justifaction for the dollar offset. i also plan on installing the in-line cooler.

Old 06-09-2003, 02:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

dilute your anitfreeze to the lowest freeze protection you actually need - water wicks heat better than antifreeze. but do not go below 25% antifreeze because this is the minimum you need for proper seal lubrication and oxidation inhibiting. the new gm dexcool has better oxidation protection, and its orange, so it matches the yellow ds decals better showing through the tank!

I'd really like to see somebody with a temp gauge post before and after temps concerning the inline coolers. the radiator is aluminum - with a million fins. the inline coolers are a tiny percentage of the radiator's surface area, and it seems far fetched that such a small increase in cooling surface over that of the radiator could actually contribute as much as their advertisement says. I'm not knocking it - I can't 'cause i haven't tried it - just sitting here wondering how they could be that good. Makes me wonder why we don't just do away with radiators and install like twenty of these coolers inline with eachother - much cheaper for a factory to produce.
I think I'll pick one up and see what the temp gauge says, I'll post afterwards. It'll be a couple weeks though, and no way can you expect me to say it dropped 20 degrees, but I'd settle for 5 and consider it worthwhile if that's all i get.

Old 06-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

Is engine ice like water wetter or same thing....better?

Old 06-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

Hightower,
I HIGHLY recommend for you to stay as far away from Dex Cool as humanly possible... it is VERY hard on cooling systems despite what has been claimed. Out here, in the automotive world, we are seeing the results of it first hand. It is corroding coolant fittings, heater cores, you name it. Most reputable shops in my area are removing it, flushing the system, and refilling with standard coolant with much better results. I shouldn't complain though, I am selling the crap out of coolant fittings and heater cores![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

Wow Ken, never heard that one. I only put it in the DS because its orange, and I have it on hand because its what my Chevy has from the factory. but if that's the case then screw it, good ol' green has never let a man down.

Old 06-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

hightower, i have temp guage and a cooler, it lowered mine about 15-20 degrees

Old 06-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

i bought a cooler off of ebay it has more fins than regular ones you see in the mag and it was the same price without actually counting the fins i think it has around twenty or so where as the others has 5-8. and yes it worked for me i am also running the 40 below that you can get from autozone

Old 06-10-2003, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

I tried using Wetter Water, first time out I lost my water Pump seals! Maybe it was just time, but I've been told that these products cause better heat transfer by placing a film on the metal and rubber surfaces that repel air bubbles from sticking increasing the effective surface area the coolant contacts. I was also told that this causes small leaks to become large leaks in a heary. It did seem to run cooler for a while, than I got water in my Oil, Not Good. I since flushed it out, replaced my seals, and went back to the trusted stuff. It was not any fun having my bike sit on trailer for a weekend watching others ride...

Old 06-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Engine Ice.

I need to find some good coolant, and an inline cooler... What should I go with, doesnt seem like engine ice really is that good anyways, can i use any antifreeze in my quad?

Quick Reply: Engine Ice.