CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Front Fork Adjustment - 250R Help, please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 05:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Fork Adjustment - 250R Help, please.

Hey Guys,

I just got back a pair of forks from the rebuilder - and they are freakin' pogo sticks! How do you adjust these things? The correct amount of oil is in them, and the srpings are there. Somebody mentioned in a post about being able to tune the front forks from the bottom screw, is this true? I can bottom them out by just pushing them down by hand.

I'm a little embarrasses to ask the shop - after all, aren't we all supposed to know every nook and cranny of our machines? I figured I would try out you guys first - probably smarter anyway.

Please - no bashing my R'.. We can't all get new DS's or EX's or whatever the flavor of the year is. My trike can pull its own just fine.

Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hey man, none of us would bash your ride! This isn't the Yamaha forum, unlike MOST of them we like to help other people. Well I had a few motocross bikes and the only thing I can think of is oil level. Are you POSITIVE you have the right amount of oil??? I'm not sure about adjustment on the forks but the newer bikes have a compression adjustment on top of the forks. I have never had a 250R trike so I wouldn't know how or if there is an adjustment on them. But like I said the only thing I can think of that would cause that is a low oil level. Check the level somehow and try adding small amounts to each side in cc's. Go a small amount though because you don't want to be blowing fork seals. Sorry I can't help more may be someone else has more info. Anyone???

Old 06-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Range Rover

Ok - I'll double-triple check when I get home.. This has got to be it!

Old 06-14-2003, 01:37 AM
Range Rover

I have the same bike and it has air caps on top of the forks. I have them set at about 4 or 5 lbs. of pressure and after rebuilding them a couple of years ago they work great!

Old 06-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

Great- another trike owner! I have a couple questions -

What type/weight of oil do you run in them? Like I said, I have a pair of pogo sticks - they have the correct amount of oil in them, but it must be the wrong type. The shop guy that rebuilt them is on vacation for three weeks. figures.. What about the rear shock - is it supposed to be real soft? I know my nitrogen canister is way empty - do you know if it can be refilled (a buddy of mine suggested filling it with 80lbs of air - the limit of my compressor). I haven't changed the preload from the factory settings.. What gearing do you recommend for the dunes? I think that about covers it. Thanks!

I do love my R'.

Old 06-17-2003, 11:57 PM
Range Rover

I'm not sure what weight oil is in them, when they were rebuilt they were oiled for me. Any atv/motocross shop should be able to tell you. My rear shock was after market when I bought it because of the 3" over swingarm. I never even bothered with gearing. Whayever is on works for draggin' because that's all I use it for. Had the moter highly ported and polished and did'nt realize I would lose ALL my bottem end but it goes in a straight line or up a hill REAL QUICK! That's when I bought the The Bombardier. Best thing I ever did. Now the wife enjoys the trike (and I dont enjoy changing the plug once a day from the slow riding load up). Good luck

Old 06-18-2003, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

Any good bike shop should be able to refill the nitrogen. Not sure what the spec is on your bike but it should be way over 80psi, more like 250-300psi. If your shop has the ability to fill it they will have the correct spec in a manual. I had my DS shock refilled it cost me $8 so it's not spendy. As far as fork oil goes try what the factory recommends and if it seems too soft go 1 grade heavier. I used to play with the fork springs and oil in street bikes constantly, maybe a heavier spring would help if the oil isn't enough.

Old 06-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Range Rover

That's funny - when I had mine polished, it gave the bike TONS more bottom end. Maybe the porting changed something. I haven't changed the plug in well, quite a while. Maybe a year or so. I go out riding about 2X a month. I run 32:1 golden spectro. Smokes a little - but I know the engine won't go! Just safe I guess.