CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Question about how much I will gain if..........

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 01:26 PM
sam
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about how much I will gain if..........

push,
what size main are you running ? I run a 172.5 with a supertrapp mod endcap & uni air filter. I was a firm beliver in taking off the air box lid untill my bud came over with his fmf pc4 & k-n kit baja we ran them and we would start off preaty close but he would start pulling away, I culdnt keep up. then I put my lid back on and we start of the same and now Im pulling away from him. just my seat of the paints view. if you have the stock carb I would leave the lid on. since the vacume of the engine opens the carb slide the harder the draw the quicker the slide opens. if you leave the lid off ya it draws more air but you lose that vacume to open the slide quick .where as the 45 carb works off a direct action of your cable you can leave the lid off. the best way I found to gage those little performance upgrades is to run along another ds and gage your take off and roll on power then top end. just my 2 bits hope this helps[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Hey thanks sam!!

I have the 170 main jet from dynojet and right now with the lid and snorkles on the jetting is about perfect!! I guess I will leave the lid and snorkles on untill a different carb is in the picture. Thanks everyone for the help.

And for anyone with a stock carb....... That spring cutting trick really works. 6 is the perfect number for me!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2003, 03:30 PM
sam
Pro Rider

I went to the 2001 slide spring ( i was having trouble with it backfiring out the carb when I chop the throttle) and cut off 2 coils like fastone21, I did take the snorkals off but I had to put some tabs on the seat to keep it from falling down when riding. I didnt notice a diffrence doing that it just looks cleaner and ez-er to work on the carb. are you still running the stock spring?

Old 06-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

PUSHINGTHE LIMIT
WITH THE LID ON AND SIX COILS REMOVE i BET YOU HAVE GOOD SNAPPY RESPONSE.

Old 06-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Ya I run the stock spring, but what is different about the 2001 carb spring??

Old 06-18-2003, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

SAM
GLAD TO BE ABLE TO HELP.

Old 06-18-2003, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fastone21
PUSHINGTHE LIMIT
WITH THE LID ON AND SIX COILS REMOVE i BET YOU HAVE GOOD SNAPPY RESPONSE.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

IF YOU RUN A LID ON YOUR AIR BOX YOU HAVE GOOD RESPONSE BUT HORSEPOWER WILL BE DOWN ALITTLE AND TORQUE WILL BE HIGHER. tORQUE IS WHAT GETS YOU MOVING.
IF YOU RUN AN OPEN AIRBOX NOT SNORKELS YOU HAVE TO CUT YOU SLIDE SPRING SO IT TAKES LESS VACUM TO OPEN THE SLIDE. THE AMOUNT OF COILS YOU CUT OFF DEPEND ON THE RESPONSE YOU ARE WANTING. i HAVE AN EXTRA SPRING AND i'M GOING TO TRY CUTTING 4 THEN 6 COILS TO SEE IF THERE IS A DIFFERENCE OR GAIN IN RESPONSE. jUST REMEMBER ALWAYS RETURN THE SPRING BACK TO STOCK LENGHT SO YOU WILL HAVE TOTAL CONTROL OF THE SLIDE ACCELERATING AND DECELERATING.

Old 06-18-2003, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Fastone,

ya don't go more than 6 coils!! BUT, don't stretch the spring either. Your defeating the purpose of it if you do that. What I did was cut enough coils to be pushing a little bit on the cap that goes over it when it is al the way down to the bolted position. This works good with no problems. Because it is still got a little spring pressure at the idle position but the least amount of pressure while giving throttle. I hope you understand this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2003, 04:19 PM
sam
Pro Rider

Ya I run the stock spring, but what is different about the 2001 carb spring??
what I found out on these fourms is that my stock return spring was weak as I chop the throttle it wasnt closing all the way It
was leting fuel go into the cylinder causing
a back fire so severe it was pushing the carb right off the boot. I was told the 2001 spring was stiffer and was able to close the throttle.
depending on when your 2000 DS was made it might have this update. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Question about how much I will gain if..........