CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 RESPECT

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 RESPECT

I own a V-Force. I have been reading about the DS 650's and I'm beginning to think I purchased the wrong wheeler!! Apparently the DS is much quicker than the V. Have any of you ever raced a V? If so, what were the results?

Old 06-26-2003, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS650 RESPECT

Well honestly I have yet to race a v force...... But my neighbor had an ALL STOCK DS650, and he bought a v force before he got rid of the DS. After he got the v force and broke it in good he did a few drag races. He told me that his DS650 was definitly faster. (THE RACES WERE DONE ON A GRAVEL ROAD) He said they stayed pretty close together untill he got into fourth gear and he pulled a considerably amount away from it. Now I didn't acctually see the race, but this is just what he told me. He said the DS was winning everytime..... But this is what he told me so NO B!TCHING!!! LOL!

Old 06-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS650 RESPECT

LOL, I believe it. Around what speed are you going when you shift into 4th?

Old 06-26-2003, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS650 RESPECT

Originally posted by: PUSHINTHELIMIT
But this is what he told me so NO B!TCHING!!! LOL!
rofl.....

Anyway, CAM650, I'm sure you'll be happy with the big V-Force. Yea it's heavier, automatic, way harder on gas and has quite a poor suspension, but you must not forget that it is a V-Twin. The V's might not be that fast stock, but a V-Twin has way more hop-up potential than a smaller single.

I'd say if you put the same amount of money in both quads..(Let's say a couple of G's), the V-Force would probably come out the fastest.

But it's lack of an upgradeable swingarm, poor OEM suspenders, and uh, lack of sprockets, meaning the inability to easily change gear ratios, I would say the DS is the best buy. But that's just my 0.02$

Don't start regretting buying a V-Force yet, get some seat time on it, then you'll see whats right for you.

Hope I helped [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jeff

Old 06-26-2003, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS650 RESPECT

Ah...... I'm not sure but go to the Ron Wood web site and look at the DS650 gearing calculator and that will tell you. You can also change gearing and tire size on it FYI..

Old 06-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS650 RESPECT

I'm completely new to sport quads so seat time is definitely something I do need. I've ridden Prairie 650's only. I do like the automatic transmission on the V and that's why I bought it. However, the more I read about the DS the more get concerned. I read in the July issue of ATV ACTION that a DS beat a V in a 150 yard uphill race by about 7 quad lengths!!! I've never been on a DS 650 but my V seems so fast that sounds strange. Can it be that much slower?

Old 06-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS650 RESPECT

cam650, i just bought my ds about 2 months ago and was seriously considering the v force. luckily i was introduced to this forum by sandman430 and i ended up with the ds. i still think the v force is a sweet looking ride (i check them out everytime i go to the dealer) but there is only so much you can do to improve an auto tranny. i've already geared down a few tooths to make more torque and am very happy with my ds, but the v force is still a very nice bike[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS650 RESPECT

cam, i also read that atv action article. it had the ds winning in almost every category that mattered, and then had the predator win overall and the ds 3of4, it ranked the v force last in almost every category, so i don't know if i would even believe them. don't worry about it till you've raced one yourself

Old 06-26-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS650 RESPECT

CAM650, Just like Tyrespinner said, get some seat time. You might begin to like it even more. If you dont like it, sell it or trade it in for a DS. I dont actually agree that it would be cheaper to get more power out of, just cuz its a twin, youre spending double.

Hey Bigslim78, I read that article too in that magazine. Ive never felt more confused in my life after reading that the predator came out first. In the woods test, the DS actually came in first when an expert driver rode it. Then at the end of the articles its all "We would wonder why anyone would ever buy a DS for a woods machine. Its big and doesnt have reverse." Well DUH, it cant be that bad in the woods if it came in first when an expert drove it. That crap makes me mad... P.O.S Magazine!! lol

RR01

Old 06-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS650 RESPECT

i think in one of the sections (believe it was the wide open track section) it said the novice rider came in third on the ds, but the expert came in first while riding the ds...am i supposed to care that someone who doesn't know how to ride can't handle the power of the ds...maybe the predator is a better bike for a novice, but that's not what i aspire to be[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: DS650 RESPECT