CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

For the jetting pros, what color is YOUR plug..

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the jetting pros, what color is YOUR plug..

WELL DAMMIT!!!! If black anywhere means rich this sucks LOL. Help me out again, thanks. Well my electrode is a nice tan color BUT, the base around the plug has black on it so WTF!!! by looking at it to get the base tan the electrode is gonna be white as a ghost!! I don't know what this means then....... The electrode is tan but the base is black....... this is extreamly wierd. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2003, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

Same think here. Tan electrode, black base.

Old 07-06-2003, 01:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

dam that's wild Majorecho - maybe I need to go down even more....I didn't have any smaller jets when I was out there, but sounds like I may not have small enough for home at sea level either!

Pushin - 99% of the bikes out there riding today have a plug that's tan on the electrode and black on the base, because everybody is scared of running too lean, but fact is you doon't need black on there to keep cool, just drop one main at a time until the black is gone, but give a good couple hour ride on each one and plug check afterwards before dropping to the next. If you drag race on each one, you will notice a slight change in your results each time you drop, with a little more power showing up each time. and no need for a fresh plug - leave the same one in there.

Old 07-06-2003, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, thanks a lot man!! I appreciate the help from everyone. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Well I have another question or questions..... Why once and a great while do I get a lean pop when I let off the throttle but i'm running too rich???? Also my needle is down all the way..... Does this mean I have to put in a smaller main jet and then play with the right needle setting?? Thanks again guys!! I don't mean to be a pest....

Old 07-06-2003, 09:59 PM
Range Rover
when your holding the football - people will throw evrything they can at you to strip it away .... including the waterboy at the end of the bench.

Not sure on your needle question but as far as the "lean pop"......typically when you let off the throttle of anything and you hear a pop it is from an overabundance of fuel in the exhaust system igniting....backfire!

Old 07-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Since we are asking the jet pros, did i waste my money on a stage one jet kit? I will be adding a knn, exhaust and cdi?

Old 07-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Here is the correct color of what your plugs should look like. The porcelin if you are running either pump gas or 100 or 101 octane race gas should be almost pure shiny white. A little bit of tan is all you should see. The electrode should have a band mark across it about a 1/4 way up from the first thread. And the last check is to look at the bottom of the porcelin all the way down, as long as it isn't white you should be right on. Now higher octan fuels like 110 are much more difficult to read because of the lead in them. Everything looks gray. You to pay attention to the evlectrode a little more closely. Also on the pump and 101 fuels your exhaust tip should be a medium to light gray color. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Forcefed,

Are you saying that this is doing that because I'm still rich? I just got back from the shop(my garage) and I went from my 170 dyno-jet main to 165 dyno-jet main. I still left the needle all the way down. I rode it a little and seems to run great...... Always did but tomorrow I will put some time on it and check the plug....... If it still runs rich I have to leave it because that is my smallest main I have.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I guess I'll have to put more holes in the airbox lid!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] lol, I have 5 small holes in the lid but if I have to I will go more. thanks again, AND I'M STILL UP FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS AND TIPS!!! I guess if I have and MORE problems "I'll be back!"

Old 07-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Range Rover

DEAR PUNISHER,
What color range should a plug be off a Craftsman Eager-1 6.5H.P. lawnmower, also what
jetting should I be running????

Quick Reply: For the jetting pros, what color is YOUR plug..