CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

outsu tire are crap

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outsu tire are crap

I think the Ohtsu tires are a good tire to ship with the DS for general use. Like so many other vehicle tires, I can imagine that there isn't any one great tire for every terrain type. I can imagine too, how the Ohtsu tires may not be great in rocky high desert terrain at high speed. I doubt my Skat Trak paddles would be great for trails either. My question to Fastone21, does that mean that they are crap?

Old 07-15-2003, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

The ply ratings don't really say much.

I use Maxxis Sur Traks 22" (More like a mud tire) on my DS. They are 2-ply rated and they are the toughest tires I've ever ridden on. On the trails we ride here at high speeds, we usually have to stop once or twice to wait for one of the group to plug a tire. I usually lead the pack or not far behind and I've never punctured a tire...while everyone else has puncture their's twice or more. My buds with a 440EX, Z400 and a raptor use Bandits, Razr's and Bear Claws.

So don't rely on a ply rating for puncture resistance.

Jeff

Old 07-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

How are the Ohtsu's in the snow?

Old 07-15-2003, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

worse than ur sur traks

Old 07-15-2003, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

lilnotts!!!! You have to be kidding me this time!!!!! I KNOW the only thing BETTER for the snow than ohtsu's are pro wedges- 4 snows. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Why do you think 400EX's can ride wheelies in the snow with little effort..... Nothing much can hook better than Ohtsu's!! They wear fast but grip AWESOME!! 99% of the quads by me have Ohtsu's in the winter..

Old 07-15-2003, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

last time i checked he owns a ds, not an ex, and i've riddin a stock ex in the winter and it spin just as much as my ds does, but i can make it through more then they can,

Old 07-15-2003, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with the traction on the otshu. But the reliability still sucks. I have some holeshot XCR that works great in all situations. THe down fall is they wear out fast. That is the reason I had the otshu tires on because we was riding some asphalt roads and trails together. Just a day of high speed riding and asphalt drags.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I too am in the need for a more reliable tire, even though I really like the ohtsu. some of the more hardcore places like the places in kentucky with so much jagged rock can really shred a sidewall.
A friend recnetly bought a full set of Kenda Klaws and they seem to be a super tire so far. really agressive, seem very tuff, and all the race reviews in the magazines say they are virtually unbeatable for what we're all talking about here. if they prove to hold up well then I'll get a set.

that pic Bill posted is what happens to all tires when they are ridden flat, but since the ohtsu is a radial it happens a lot faster than others I think.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Here is what I use : Maxxis Sur Traks

Also check out these : Maxxis All Traks.

They are both EXTREMELY PUNCTURE RESISTANT.

here is a pic of the kenda klaws : Klaws

Hope I helped

Jeff

Old 07-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BillDS650
Originally posted by: SlowrideBillDS, I got to know the Paul Harvey on that tire (the rest of the story....).I shredded the knubs off of the stock Ohtsus' real fast in the desert terrain, but never had that happen. Although the front popped when I tagged a large rock with low air pressure. I generally try to run 8-10lbs. in the front and rear in the desert. Stiff, but safer.jbt
It is a Mike Lyon Story https://atvconnection.com/atvconnect...ce-of-Mind.cfm
I am still in the dark as to how the holes are so evenly spaced! The tire went flat while I was on a road. I think the rim did most of the damage to that tire.
Very odd!

Quick Reply: outsu tire are crap