CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is this the death nail to Bombadier?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 09:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the death nail to Bombadier?

I'm not worried, this is kinda old news as Punisher mentioned, I've read several artciles over the past several months about it.

Old 07-20-2003, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Did anybody ever pick up Cannondale?

Old 07-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

thePunisher....
Sorry, if I didn't catch the prior discussions on this stuff. But to a degree I usually don't take to many things seriously until they publish it. This is the first time to my knowledge they have done this. As far as I know this is new news. Have you read the article yet? It didn't say anthing about subsidizing or that the orginal family has been taking back the industry. The more I think about it, even if this is true, this could only hurt Bombarider in a negative way. There is no way a smaller corporation can handle the broad R&D and production that Bombardier Rec corporation can handle. It's just not possible. And I think this basically where they were going with this information. We could vary well unfortunately see all the near future models in a stagnant state. At least for the next few years.

Do you have a link to a published article on any other information on this family buying out the Rec dividion?

Old 07-20-2003, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

cctman,

In Tony's defense, I can tell you that there is not that much more R&D needed on the DS 650. Sure, future quads by Bombardier may suffer. For example the 2-stroke monster that Bombardier has had on the drawing boards. However, the lack of R&D seems to be rampant among all quad manufacturers. Honda hasn't had any significant changes to the 400EX in how long? and what is their answer to the larger bore 4 strokes? Plus, how much R&D was put into that old design Raptor motor? or the Raptor 80? I think its a matter of shifting the resources to where they are needed in the short term, and that can only help Bombardier in the long run.

Hats off to Suzuki that was able to divert funds from other successful projects into the Z400 design. That's one quality quad through and through. I know it couldn't have been cheap. I don't think that design could have taken place in today's economy.

Old 07-20-2003, 12:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've not read this new article yet, I need to.
But two other older articles I did read gave me the impression that mulitlpe investors would be involved, with Big Bomb maintaining a chunk of the stock, and the Original Bomb heading up the rec vehicle company. This was all proposed but not definite at the time, with plenty of reassurance not to worry implied.

Bomb Sale info

And here's an interesting tid-bit that may help identify one of the investors:
John Deere/Bomb

Old 07-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Comparing Cannondale to Bomb is crazy. . . read below to understand. . .

The rec. division includes:
Rotax (World leader in CART engines + all the engines for the following)
Johnson Outboard Motors
Evenrude Outboard Motors
Ski-Doo
Sea-Doo
Bombardier ATV
Oh, the 650 engine that the DS uses is also bought by BMW for their F650 bike (I think that is pretty impressive, a company like BMW buying your motors!)
Most of the ultra-light airplanes in the world are powered by Rotax also.

You don't have to know much about manufacturing to understand that a company that just makes ATV's would have a few busy times of the year and number of slow times of the year. What Bomb has done is filled in the slow times with production of sleds or PWC. The factory lines are switched over and they make whatever the demand is for at the time. Busy factory = profit!

Watchout naysayers. . . shedding the Aerospace division will only make Bombs Rec division stronger. Look for some great things from Bomb in the future!

Old 07-20-2003, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Very well said DuneMe.

But is Rotax owned by Bombardier?!?! I don't think so....

If they were...why would they operate out of Austria...

Old 07-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

I don't beleive that the 650 engine is built by Rotax for BMW I beleive it is the other way around?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-20-2003, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Nope, Rotax makes their own stuff 100%. It's just like saying BMW makes the DS engine...cuz they both share the same engine...cept the BMW bike has dual carbs stock.

Jeff

Old 07-20-2003, 03:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Rotax is a company, and it is Owned by Bombardier. it is in germany becasue that's where it always been since the 20's, but Bomb bought it in 1970 and owns it to date.
rotax makes engines for a lot of companies, BMW inlcuded, and also Aprilia even.
http://www.rotax.bombardier.com/history_e.htm

Quick Reply: Is this the death nail to Bombadier?