CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS 720 300FT drag times

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 07:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS 720 300FT drag times

MY friend and i [he owns a raptor usually does MX ] went out to a paved road and marked off 300 feet to get an idea of what we could get my samcoeds built ds 720 to run... we marked off 300 ft about 10 times to make sure we were as close as humanly possible for the distance... The road was very smooth and it was on a slight up- hill slant, i was running the ds with 110 race fuel and stock tires,15-40 gearing... my best run was a 4.49 and the time changed of course based on holeshot, if i started in 2nd gear i would run between 4.6 to 5.2. i noticed i was spinning too much out of the hole till 4th, when i started out in 3rd gear [dumping clutch at 9000], i put my weight forward a bit and let it spin for about 10 feet then i rolled weight back a bit on seat and she hooked up fine all the way through 3rd and into 4th that helped time alot... just to make sure the times were accurate i ran it about 15-20 passes and all times were near..i tried some alky and ran a 5.4 if you can believe that, i think it was due to tire spin, i dont do flat drags that often so i dont know if this is fast or if a better tire set up would benefit times more.... my bike must have been tooo lean because it reach 190 degrees on methonal, it usually wont go past 160 on meth, it was 98 degrees out. ran like crap on alky.. when i purged it and drained most all of alky out of tank and replace main jet and put 110 gas in, it seemed to run hotter than normal, im sure it was a bit of leftover alky in tank... would that little bit of alky in system make the bike run hotter with normal carb set-up, id think it would lean out????my friends slightly modded raptor pulled a 5.5 , that was his fastest out of 15 runs.... does anyone else have any 300ft paved road times??

Old 07-22-2003, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider

I dirt drag 300' a lot. Raptors, slammed with wheelie bars and Pro Wedges, exhaust and K&N filters, run almost identical to your friends time of 5.50 at around 55 mph.

I would describe your times as STUPID for a 4-stroke, thats .5 seconds faster than the fastest thumper at my track (686 Rappy 11:1/web cam/dual 39 keihens/head porting/Big Gun).

The fastest stretched framed Banshees on alky run in the 4.20s.

Any chance you BIG BOYS will be at Glamis during Thanksgiving? I gotta see some of these BEASTS!!!
Planning a trip.

AWESOME BIKE

Dave

Old 07-22-2003, 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dcryder, what do you mean by "times" being stupid???your running on dirt with wheely bars & tires that hook up, are the times on dirt usually the same as they would be on pavement? I will be at dumont sand dunes on all major holidays if you want to come down here.i will meet you at dumont any time...i usually run the steeper hills.

Old 07-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

What about halloween mario,let's go to glamis...im going..

Old 07-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

Is that time with that 60% Nitro mix you were experementin with? Did you run that with those new 25" 20 paddle Skat-Trak Kevlar Ripper paddles?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Be carfeul out there, those city Highway crews are packing heat and they don't like to have to go out in 120 degree weather to fix burnt up pavement![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

By "stupid" i mean thats crazy fast for a 4-stroke to me. Around here nobody is willing to put out the cash to get that much out of one. I guess the main reasons are that there are just no wide open spaces where people can line up and race all day, hard to drag race up a winding rocky trail 5 feet wide! So most drag racers build Banshees or put crotch rocket or snowmobile engines on quads, there are even a few crotch rockets with ATV swingarm and axles with Wedges. They get 130 hp for around $2,000 instead of 80 hp for $8,000. Its very hard to "ride" a 4 second bike around here. Then their 400exs and Rappies pretty much stay stock for the trails.

As for "times" dirt vs. asphalt, evidently holeshot in dirt with bars vs. speed on asphalt cancel each other out (within .1 sec or so) Rappies with bars, exhaust, K&N usually run in 5.60s. I have ran a 5.57 @ 54 mph with a 1.97 60' time. (computerized lights at dirt drags) Now with my RWR exhaust and RWR cdi i run 5.70s @ 51 mph. WANT ME TO WORK ON YOUR BIKE????lol I'll get her lined out one of these days!!

Dave

Old 07-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think the 3rd gear holeshot is what made that time for me, less tire spin, and the alky is not consistent for me so i like race gas...when on alky though for the first run it made power but was useless to me due to tire spin and lost power when lean... i had an alky banshee that was super fast, but 2 strokes and 4 strokes have totally different power, its hard to tell...one is pulling torque and the other is shifting in power band... I will try my times in the dirt with paddles and see what happens, from what i have heard on pavement 4.49 seemed low from what i vaguely remembered, so i measured out the distance a few more times to double check, it was right on...i consistanly ran a few close times, with a bit more tinkering around with motor i hope to get consistant with low #s, i will check different stop clocks just to see if i had a slow one...LOL, but im sure it was right on due to my buddies raptor times...OH i also have a guy who wants to race me for $$$ with his LT500 +4 swingarm and bored out and all the goodies, he says he starts out in 1st gear LOL... i guess that explains why i am out running numbers at 1:00 AM ......GOT TO BE PREPARED, cant take a chance with unpredictable alky!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

theres not a single cyclinder 4 stroke that will run 4.4's. if you take it to a track you should be around 5.0's to 5.4's.

dirt tracks are normally faster than sand.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DSMIKE, what do you run on pavement??i wish i had a good 300ft track with good lights and timer... Are you sure there isnt a single cylinder 4 stroke that runs near 4.5??i know there was a nitro CRF450 that was killing alky drag bikes at PISMO, ask jeffinrivercity...and punisher saw it too... DONT quote me, but i think samcoeds ran between 4.6 and 4.8 in front of his house on this DS on pavement, i think

Old 07-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

was it a bike or 4-wheeler? by nitro, do you mean nitromethane or nitrous?

Quick Reply: DS 720 300FT drag times