CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

HELP, Rear bearing carrier adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, Rear bearing carrier adjustment

OKAY....

I don't have my manual... and coming from owning a Banshee... I don't see how I'm supposed to take the 'slop' out of my rear axle and bearing carrier. It seems that I tightened my chain... and maybe loosened my carrier/axle at the same time?! What gives?! Is this possible?

Basically... I have slop in my carrier. I can move my axle side to side about an 1/8th of an inch or more. I tried to loosed and retighten the collar nut, but it seems the rotor spincle tightens against a collar on the axle (is this true?!). And doesn't allow me to tighten anything against the carrier bearings.

What's the proper procedure my Bombardier friends?!?!
How do I remove the slop from the carrier and bearing / axle relationship????

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you must be turning the collar nut the wrong way

Old 07-28-2003, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

hehehe... uhh, no. Righty tighty lefty loosey.... is the correct 'way'.

I tightened it clockwise and watched the collar take up some slack. But it stopped by not turning anymore. It basically tightened against the rotor spindle and then stopped. Believe me, I used a monkey wrench out in the dunes to try this.... and nothing. It locked against the rotor spindle and stopped. But not slop was removed from the side to side movement. It's like the rotor spindle is tightened up against something, but I can't see what it is. Maybe another collar on the axle?

So what you're telling me with your comment is; The axle collar (the one with a pinch bolt and nut) is what should allow me to tighten the axle assembly to the bearing carrier. Thus removing the side to side slop.

If tha't the case, I'm going to look into this with more detail now that I'm home and have more tools and such (last look was in the dunes and I was loaded with Vicadin for pain).

Old 07-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

turning the nut one way draws the hub outward, turning the nut the opposite way pushes the hub into the carrier to tighten slack in axle. I forget if it's clockwise or counterclockwise.

Old 07-28-2003, 06:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The axle collar does NOT tighten against the brake/rotor spindle. It turns and tightens LEFTY, towards the wheel hub.

bigger.

Old 07-28-2003, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: biggerisbetter
The axle collar does NOT tighten against the brake/rotor spindle. It turns and tightens LEFTY, towards the wheel hub.

OKAY... now I'm really confused.

I know 2 things;

1- If I turn the axle nut (collar with pinch bolt) clockwise, it turns into the rotor spindle.
2- If I turn the axle nut counter-clockwise, it turns towards the wheel spindle.

But, what is it's purpose??
To tighten the axle assembly in the bearing carrier correct???

Man...
Can't someone just spell it out.
I'm on my way RIGHT NOW into my garage to take it apart and figure it all out.
I simply can't see the circlips on the axle with it all together. Once I figure it out...
I'll post my findings. It seems nobody has what I'm looking for in the way of knowledge.

Thanks anyway.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Range Rover

You want to back the nut OFF the rotor spindle. This will tighten up the axle. In this case its lefty tighty.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, bigger, johny and crash are all correct. Left/ couterclockwise is the way you tighten the axle.
I've replaced the axle bearings, and we are telling you the truth.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

dude its that damn yamaha experience, got you all screwed up in the easy Bomb world - they do things the hard way, just look at their archaic chain adjusters!

Old 07-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

SO TRUE....!!!
I hate the Banshee chain adjusters! They should be... condemned.

I couldn't believe how easy the Bomb's chain was to adjust.... soooo easy.

NOW....
I still haven't investigated the tightening of the axle....
But I had turned the axle nut (which really isn't a nut on my Baja... it's more of a large collar and pinch bolt. There is no hex to fit a wrench over. Just two flat surfaces for my monkey wrench opposite the side of the pinch bolt) to the left or counterclockwise. It backed off towards my wheel spindle. HOW IN THE WORLD is that supposed to TIGHTEN the axle to the bearings?????

I'll tell ya... I still believe you guys are telling me the right way... however, I think we may be talking a different nut or something. I mean... I just don't get it.

I guess when I get home.... I'm gonna check and remove some things while trying to learn how it all works. Heck... I'm no dummy... but this is killin' me!! I feel like a total idiot!

Can someone maybe ... make sure we're all on the same page here?! Are we talkin' about the same nut??

Quick Reply: HELP, Rear bearing carrier adjustment