CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

need help about CDI mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help about CDI mod

Hi,I'm new to the board.I ran acrossed it the other day and joined right up.
My problem is I want to put an aftermarket CDI box on my 2000 DS650,but I have been told that I will have to change the stock valve spring's and put in titanium spring's befor I can put the new CDI on it.
Is this true,or can I do it with out the new spring's.
I have done some mod's allready like.
White brothers E-series pipe
K&N filter and outerwears
jetted and tuned by a Bombardier tech
sprocket's stock front 38 rear
Shredder R/A tire's 20x11x9 rear
The quad run's perfect and I dont want to get into the engine till I have too,soon it's going to need a new clutch and ill put the new valve spring's in then couse I'm going to do ring's and piston's and cams al at once.
Thinks for any help you can give.

Old 08-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

My brain got ahead of my finger's while I was typing I know the engine has 1 piston and 2 cam's sorry about that.

Old 08-01-2003, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

You can run the cdi with stock springs. Just don't over-rev it too much. I've had an aftermarket cdi for about 2 years with stock engine internals and it runs fine!

Old 08-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2000DS with one of the first RWR stage 1 kits. With no rev limiter and some hard riding I can honestly say I never over reved the enging even when I tried. I don't have a tach but I have good hearing and the engine always sounded good even when at WOT for extended periods of time.

You will be happy with an aftermarket CDI and you will know when to let off or shift.

My only other recomendation is a teather kill switch. My fear is if I come off the DS and the throttle sticks, I don't want it to hurt someone else or blow the engine.

Old 08-02-2003, 12:45 AM
sam
Pro Rider

I also got a 2000 Ds The CDI Mod is the next best thing to a pipe. get it and enjoy the fredom with out bouncing off the stock limmiter. the power falls flat B4 you over rev it you will be shifting B4 you hurt any thing. my 2 cents[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]