CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

YFZ race/ride report..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ race/ride report..

i know the ones i've been racing are going to give some guys a rather unpleasant experience, i figure they come looking for me though.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

the few yfzs that i have seen were much faster than what i have heard described here but with a quick reving four stroke that rides like a two stroke maybe some of these guys dont know just how hard you can push that motor to really get into the power that is there on the top end.BIGSLIM i am not surprised that your baja beat the yfz because even in stock form like mine is now i was able to beat a stock raptor on the flats easily and i was ahead by about 8 or 10 quad lengths after about a quarter mile.i would like to race the yfz on the flats because i think even with my big butt on it i could out run one in a long race of a quarter mile or so. i almost forgot to mention that i outweighed the raptor rider by about 50 lbs and i still took him easily and that surprised me the most.

Old 08-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

450cc's verses 650cc's? The DS should be pulling the Yamaha BADLY, especially racing on sand where the big displacement and torque should be an advantage.

Old 08-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Roost,

You didnt make it to the megajam at Fox Valley last Suday did you? I stopped a couple of other ds's at the drags and asked if they were you, they all said no. lol There was a guy there with a very very fast 440 ex. He came in 2nd. lol But he did manage to blow away all the other ds's and Raptors. I was hoping to meet you there, but maybe you can make it to the Monkey Butt drags on Sept 7th in Janesville Wi.

Dstroyer

Old 08-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

450ccs - 350lbs

650ccs - somewhere around 475lbs

Old 08-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
the few yfzs that i have seen were much faster than what i have heard described here but with a quick reving four stroke that rides like a two stroke maybe some of these guys dont know just how hard you can push that motor to really get into the power that is there on the top end.BIGSLIM i am not surprised that your baja beat the yfz because even in stock form like mine is now i was able to beat a stock raptor on the flats easily and i was ahead by about 8 or 10 quad lengths after about a quarter mile.i would like to race the yfz on the flats because i think even with my big butt on it i could out run one in a long race of a quarter mile or so. i almost forgot to mention that i outweighed the raptor rider by about 50 lbs and i still took him easily and that surprised me the most.
We were only racing maybe 300' up a fairly steep hill. I dropped 2 teeth on the front sprocket with 20" haulers. With this gearing I dropped probably 10mph+ off the top end, a 1/4 mile is out of the question for this setup but that first 50' is real exciting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2003, 04:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

450 cc and actually 439cc putting out 45 hp weighing in at 350 or less equals 7.7777 pounds per hp.

650cc and actually 653cc putting out 42 hp weighing inat probably 500 pounds but lets go 460 as advertised. makes for a 10.95 pounds per hp.

so this makes for some interesting thoughts if the ds is winning with the same size riders there 45 hp must be fake i know from the ones that i have run they are getting mods off of the dirt bikes and they do run good

i haven't seen any run on a long hill to see if they fade on the long haul.

Old 08-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

horsepower, horsepower, horsepower, blah blah blah.

The DS puts out far more torque than the YFZ. This is where the power is really at.

Don't mean to sound rude, but all this talk about how much horsepower a machine has is getting old. It's meaningless when there is no torque to back it up the HP numbers. Sure the YFZ is out of the hole like a rocket. It should be for as light as it is. But under load, those HP numbers are somewhat insignificant without the torque.

Old 08-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

What about the Banshee then?

Talk about no torque but loads of horses. I know, I know, thats a two stroke, but the same theory works with 4 strokes. It can be set up for any type of power band Yamaha wanted it to be out of the box. I can say this, I did race one at a megajam event in Ottowa Illinois last weekend. He said it was bone stock, and I believed him. He did beat a ds with just a pipe and k&n, but bairly. He wasnt anywhere to be found with my stage 2.5 or against the Honda 440 ex with mods. Really, I just dont care anymore, Im sick of the bike already with all the stinking hype that surrounds it. I just feel like saying, LOOK eveyone, here comes another Yamaha with tons of advertising!!!! Just like the Raptors. When another manufacturer other than Bombardier comes out with a machine that has the appeal and individualality as the DS does, then and only then will I salivate over it. I have never felt (with the ds) that I was just another quad in the crowd. I like the fact that it turns heads anywhere I ride, and this can only make a rider proud of what he owns. By this time next year, everywhere you go, all the Yamaha advertising will have worked and you will see wall to wall yzf450's. Like I said, Im tired of the bike already. This is my .02 cents. Its all I have,

DStroyer

Old 08-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

nope i didnt dstroyer... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

a freind of mine(has the two yfz's) has like 500 acres of land up in wisconsin, and asked if i wanted to go...so i figured it would be nice to get in another like 5 hours on the machine

but we get up there ride for 40 mins...and RAIN RAIN RAIN

did you guys get rain at fvor?

two guys i know (both ride blasters) raced that day in the harescrambles (i think drags too)

do you have any other info about the monkey butt drags?

i know my freinds and I are going to try to make it to the next race at fvor i beleive its august 17th?

o, and my DS is a baja (so if we try to meet again that narrows things down a bit [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

Quick Reply: YFZ race/ride report..