CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

YFZ race/ride report..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ race/ride report..

This weekend i got to race and ride a new YFZ, there was a dealer from Cottage Grove, Or out at Florence with a demo bike. It had a set of sand skates mounted and stock other than that. My DS is stock except this weekend I put a 14 tooth front sprocket on it. 3 times up the hill and I edged him out all 3 times by a bike or less. The YFZ stayed right with me until the upper 1/3 of the hill. I spent some time at comp hill earlier and the only other stock bike that stayed with me out of the hole was a very healthy sounding Predator (said it was stock except for a pipe). After the racing I wanted to get a closer look at the yamaha and stopped and talked to the guy for a few minutes, he let me and my girlfriend ride it for about 10min each. I can say that it is fast, very fast for the size of the bike. It feels like a real handfull because of it's size, not like a hot banshee but kinda.. I wasn't really stoked about the ride, It's soft compared to a DS but I think that it could be improved tons by playing with the shocks. So is it the fastest stocker out there? Not really sure but I know my bike has black plugs (running rich) in it and in need of a valve adjustment. The 14 tooth sprocket also put me in front of the same 90lb kid on a baja that beat me 2 weeks ago, he actually smiled at me when I pulled up next to him on sunday[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Take that you little brat! Anyway, This is real racing. No internet conjecture, I was there and didn't read it somewhere. Oh, and I think if the stock rev limiter where gone I probably could have been out front by a little more, I was on the limiter for the last 30 feet of the hill. Sandman, thanks for the gear bud! Really put life in the Canook!!

Old 08-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

If you look in the Yamaha forum they don't even believe a stock Baja X beat a 450 by a bike length in 300 feet ON PAVEMENT..... They think nothing can beat it now I guess.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 08-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well, believe what they want. I did do the trailer park hot rod job on my bike, a 14 in the front on a stock bike. I'm not really sure how much it actually did for me but it got out of the hole like a mainiac!! And the YFZ was right there... It is a fast bike but I know I have a stock DS, I know I can get worlds faster. Not sure you can get a huge amount faster with the YFZ. The part that trips me out is that I expected the suspension to be better?? I know this will start the flames but it felt soft to me, maybe the compression and rebound could go up and make it better. I think for the dunes at least that a Raptor may be the better buy. My girlfriend loves the 450, It's light and easy to ride fast.Next year I'll probably have to pop for one.

Old 08-04-2003, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, one more thing. We didn't make it to Dune Fest[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] On friday night my computer decided to throw sparks and spit the magic smoke out and blow a breaker in the house. I'm on the girlfriends laptop now. So... no money for dune fest. Gotta go look at the new HPs. Sucks.

Old 08-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

spincycle, i was at dunefest and raced a piped yfz with airbox lid off, of course my gearing is 15/42 and i have the pipe and filter, but i beat the guy that weighed about 60-70lbs less than me by about 4-5 quads in approx 500ft race. that's the only yfz i've raced so far, sandman said there were a few really fast ones there but never got a chance to race them, so my ds 1, yfz's 0;for now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, I'm gonna call it 3 and 0 then. I did think that it was a neat bike though.

Old 08-04-2003, 09:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

hey would you guys send some of those you are racing my way, the ones i meet are a fight to the end. but at least i'm learning all the mods for one, and yes there already out there. the ones i was racing said they were in the 55hp range , and with a kid on there they were tuff

Old 08-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

the YFZ is very very...VERY quick....

i raced my new 03 ds baja vs a new yfz (my freinds traded in a warrior and a raptor for two new yfzs) and they get the holeshot every time, i can keep with them, and then i take top end by a few bike lengths

im getting an mbrp pipe, KN and jet kit, after that i should be able to get him off the line too

Old 08-04-2003, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

55HP! that's just rude man! That's it, I'm throwing nitrous at the bomb!

Old 08-04-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

ya sandman my freinds that have them are 130 and 160! im 225!

Quick Reply: YFZ race/ride report..