CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

pipe noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 10:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pipe noise

well as a lot of you know a loud pipe on the oregon dunes is a ticket waiting to catch you. well the good news was they didn't check for noise at dunefest, well to give tickets anyways.
so bigslim little dasandbomb and myself were up watching some event and the guy comes over and tells little bomb to fire up his honda, which was all good for him with stock exhaust. well i'm working on reasons why my ds won't start, or just plan refusing. well turns out he wasn't with the forest service he was with the event guys and was marking quads, so i figure heck i would just peel the stickers off if it wasn't to my liking. well get ready for this, the graydon full pipe 82 db [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] do you guys think his tester was broke? bigslim and the full trinity was about the same. well the 82 was serious by the way and i did get a few comments that the graydon was quiet on the low rpms, but up top it gets loud, oh and he was taking his test numbers at idle, but hey i sported my quiet stickers all weekend as i raced all over the place[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2003, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default pipe noise

you forgot something too, he tested the bomb on the wrong side, he put the tester on the right side instead of the left, the guy was an idoit[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

kc

Old 08-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default pipe noise

i guess i didn't notice that, i just had to smile when he said 82 probably never see that again.

Old 08-05-2003, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default pipe noise

big silm told me that.

kc

Old 08-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default pipe noise

sandman i can guarantee that something was wrong with the test of your pipe because when i had my raptor tested early this year it came in at 92 decibels and the forest service employee who tested it said it was the quietest pipe he has tested yet on a raptor.if the guy doing the testing was on the side away from the pipe that would make sense but either way it should have been louder than that.from what i have heard your pipe doesnt seem overly loud compared to other piped ds,s but still 82 decibels seems impossible to me.i am still trying to decide on a pipe for the baja but so far i cant find anything that will come in under or at least close to the 93 decibel limit.

Old 08-05-2003, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default pipe noise

It can be done I had the Graydon with 12 disk and my baffles down too 95 db at 3600 RPM

Old 08-05-2003, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default pipe noise

billds650- which graydon are you referring to because i would like to pipe my baja soon and those numbers sound good.did you have your pipe tested or did you do it yourself?i am not doubting you i am just curious if the forest service meter gave those numbers.on the oregon dunes where i ride you have to do your home work to keep the forest service off your back so any more information you can give me will be appreciated.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default pipe noise

dune the graydon is pretty quiet with the disks i have them i just don't run them, we could next time i see you and i think we could find a green truck to test for us. so what do you think of these 450's i know you saw the ones i raced and they were hard, then bigslim goes and pounds a couple i seem to be finding only the fast ones.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default pipe noise

duneittilludie i neverd did get Dynoed but the seat of the pants test it was ok. http://www.graydonproline.com/ go to photo page mine is 003.jpg. what I did was replace the core with 4 inch 3 disk CC Incerts

Old 08-05-2003, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default pipe noise

BILLDS650- thanks for your help i will check into the graydon further but it sounds like it would work for me.SANDMAN- some of the 450s that i have seen are very fast and some are just so so i think that some of the guys riding these know how to rev the motor to get into the power and some do not.any yfz that can hang close to your ds must have at least a pipe and maybe even the higher compression piston that they can get because your ds gets after it on the hill we race on.last weekend cathys 440 was able to just get by a yfz but not by much so as i said some guys know how to get their quad to perform and some do not.the one that surprised me last weekend was the piped v force that i barely beat he was very fast especially in the first 50 feet or so.anyone who still thinks that the v force is not a serious contender in a drag race should line up with this guy he will be making some people think again about what what the v force can do.sandman is the jetting on the baja as easy as i have heard it is because i will be getting a pipe soon and it looks like a pretty easy carb to re jet but i havent opened it up yet.

Quick Reply: pipe noise