CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Forget what I may have said about Titax.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forget what I may have said about Titax.

I recently took my 14t off to put on my 15t after my upgrades. Well, I liked the lower end power on the 14 much better, and it allowed higher reves and it went faster then the 15 on top.. I put the 14 on and could NOT tighen the chain.. tried for 30 minutes and such.. I put the 15 back on and it tightend right up!!! I looked at the sprocket and could not belive it.. This sprocket only has 1 trip the Little Sahara in OK. and 2 trail rides!!!!!!
Check this out Pic 1 Pic 2 . It so warn that I cant tighten the chain.. I thought the chain was loose with it on, it rattled on me on the last ride quite a bit.. What are the cances the chain stretching?? it has plent of hours on it. I think the sprocket just wore down fast!!!
I called Rockymountain and they do not have any warranty on them. They did replace it with a PRIMARY drive brand sprocket. I have had 2 15th sprockets from them and they hold up just fine. I gave 1 15t to a newbie in OK that had 16/40/22 tires and stock gearing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Anyways I am not sure what my lesson is here
1: cheap sprocket?
2: 14/40 gearing?
I think 15/42 would be good IF they maid a good rear sprocket for 22 tires.
I will go back to 15/40 when I get my 20" tires again.

Old 08-15-2003, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Has anybody else had problems running a 14 front?? (Not necessarily the Titax)...

I have a brand new RWR 14 front on the way (Thanks Birdoprey)...If it only lasts a few rides...

Old 08-15-2003, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Usually worn sprockets start to "hook". It doesn't look like the diameter has been worn to me. By the way the sprocket is worn on the side it looks like maybe it is not running straight, have you checked for slop in the axle bearings or swingarm pivot? This could explain everything.

Old 08-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Grady, it looks like you have a lot of side to side wear. DCryder, has a good point.

Old 08-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

No I have not looked.. I am not sure what you mean by slop? The axle careier seams solid? The pivot bolt seems very tight.. cant move anyting by hand.. HOw do I check it? Well, My new swing arm will be here by sept...
So, then why would it not want to tighen the chain?? slop somewhere?? WHERE??

Old 08-15-2003, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Block up your rear end under the "skidplate" and work the axle from side to side and back and forth, watch and feel for slop in bearing carrier.

Then to check swingarm pivots, the bike has to be lifted by the grab bar or blocked up under the engine. Shake swingarm side to side and again look and feel for slop.

I think proper adjustment is 3/4" play WITH you on the bike.

Now answer my cam question!!! lol

Old 08-15-2003, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

Like some have said, check the sprocket and make sure its tight. Did you use a lock washer when you put it back on? By the way, keep the info flowing on this - whatever happens - we all want to know - good job!

Old 08-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Airraptor the chain will outlast several front sprockets. since the chain has ten times as many links as the sprocket has teeth, the links are only worn 1/10th of what the teeth are. I go through a front sprocket every 5 or 6 months, if I replaced the chain and both sprockets every time I'd spend $600 a year.

Mud & Tyre, you know about the motor mount bolt, right? The one the chain will hit if the head is on the wrong side? This not only tears up the bolt so the nut cannot be removed, but would also force the chin to one side causing the exact wear on the very same side in your pic. That wear is from misalignment, as alrady mentioned.

Old 08-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Mudstud,
1) Is both sides of the sproket worn the same?
2) Does the sprocket you ran previous have the same sort of wear?

If yes to #1 and no to #2 then I would guess that the quality of the sprocket is highly suspect.
If no to #1 and yes to #2 then there is likely an alignment problem.

Old 08-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Can you really disalign things just by changing the front sprocket??

Quick Reply: Forget what I may have said about Titax.