CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Man, this sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Man, this sucks...

Ok I just replaced my rear axel bearings and seals about 2 months ago and I used good lithium grease and I packed the bearings very good. So yesterday I was lubing my chain and while rolling the wheels I could hear that the bearings were dry. So I thought no big deal I will tear it apart and re grease them really good....

So today I take the damn thing apart to grease them up good and the bearings basically fell apart and were totally junk!!!! I don't get it... I did everything the right way and everything but the bearings and bearing races obviously got really hot because the metal was a blue color and the grease was toasted... Also one bearing race had a crack all the way through it..... The only thing that I can think of is I must have tightend the tension nut way too tight the last time I adjusted them.... I only tighten them by hand but the last time I turned the nut pretty tight so I think that's my problem...

Another thing that might have caused my premature bearing F#%KAGE is inside the BRAKE ROTOR HUB there is an o- ring that must block water and debris from getting inside and I noticed it was in bad shape.... It was ripped and no good.... Could that let water and crap in there if the o ring was shot?

Well I will try doing it again...... Buy new bearings and seals...... AGAIN![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2003, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Hey pushin...ditch that lithium grease(manual probably says to use it)it doesn't stand water and heat as well as a heavy duty axle bearing grease...I use this purple stuff from Chevron, its nasty stinky sticky stuff

On overtightening it can excell the wear on your bearings

Pressure washing and even hosing it off lets water into the housing especially with a bad o-ring

So leave your quad dirty I guess[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Man a hate doing things twice...except for $ex...I love doing that over and over and over and over...one of these days I'll even get it right

Old 08-16-2003, 07:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i think you can get those bearing at napa seems i was told for $20

Old 08-16-2003, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

You should never use lithium grease on bearings!! The only thing lithium grease is for is when you are rebuilding your engine and you use it as a pre-lube on your crank and rod bearings. Always use a Synthetic grease on those rear bearings. Mobil makes the best one out there and it isn't to expensive. I hate those frigging bearings myself!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

WOW, thanks guys.... I thought I was doing a good thing by getting lithium grease for them..... I will replace the bearings and use a good synthetic grease....... Thanks again....

Old 08-17-2003, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RAPTORJAY

Man a hate doing things twice...except for $ex...I love doing that over and over and over and over...one of these days I'll even get it right

I'm still a minor so no comment...... HEHEHEHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2003, 01:49 AM
Trailblazer

Yea maybe you just don't know what your doing josh maybe you should have someone else do it for you yea

Ray

PS. just messin with you thanks for fixing my fourwheeler

Old 08-17-2003, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

lol ray!! Anytime man...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2003, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

You can get the berings and seals at NAPPA, I got mine for less the $45.00 total.

You may want to look at all the different grease's available. I don't believe in Synthetic, so I used MOLY101. It is 5% moly which is the best lube you can get. I figure if it works on aircraft wheel berings it's ok for the DS. I've also hade it in my 5Th wheel wheel berings since 1997 and the yearly inspections look extreemly good.

Old 08-18-2003, 01:04 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Pushin.....The best grease I have found is the wheel bearing grease they sell at boat shops for the boat trailers. I use an OMC (Volvo now) wheel bearing grease, its the best.

Quick Reply: Man, this sucks...