CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Holley, NX, or Boondocker?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley, NX, or Boondocker?

Have fun, man!

Old 08-31-2003, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

I have the NX system and run a fuel pressure shut off from summit for added protection. I've run at least twenty 5 pound bottles with only one problem just last week. I never totally let off the gas when shifting while on the n2o, now my buddy takes it for a race and chops the throttle between shifts and it lean backfired and blew the plastic carb slide to bits, bent the needle into an "L" shape, folded the brass butterfly into a "U" shape, broke the ring landing and ring on the piston, and totally demolished the Kand N filter. Pesky buddies!!! While I had it apart I inspected the entire engine for problems, the second gear shift fork was nearly spent. I launch in second and began to note it would slip out from time to time.

Old 08-31-2003, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

So you reccomend not letting off the gas when shifting on the bottle? I don't like the idea of the motor free revving that quickly with no load on the motor.

Old 08-31-2003, 08:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

sorry about you luck, that sucks.
I know another guy who has been running nos on his ds for quite some time, never touches the clutch, and only lets off the gas to shift. he has not had issues, but I don't like that idea either.

lots of people shift with no clutch, just blip the throttle - others stay on the throttle and work the clutch.
one is harder on forks, one is harder on the clutch disks. neither are ideal for motor life.
but which is the least risky or harmful when on the bottle?

Old 09-01-2003, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Shoot, I usually let off the gas AND use the clutch when I'm on the bottle. Yeah, I may lose a little time, but like you said, both others are harder on sheeut.

Old 09-01-2003, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.holley,NOS is old school engineering, the NOS systems have been around for years and work well. but they haven't updated any of their designs,setups, solenoids or anything. they haven't done much R&D on any of thier nitrous setups since holley bought it out.

2.NX, is definately the way to go with serious, reliable HP gains, factory support is second to none, solenoids are guaranteed for life. all thier systems are cutting edge technology and work awesome. ease of installation and as long as you don't get carried away you shouldn't have to many problems.

3. boondockers, is a very safe, very easy installation nitrous setup, it is definately user friendly and you might have a hard time hurting any equipment with that setup. it might be a good starting ground til you really familiarize yourself with nitrous and get to where you're comfortable with it and you wanna go to the next step. then you get NX nitrous express.

Old 09-01-2003, 02:48 AM
Trailblazer

Ok guys, I sorta let off the throttle. Let me clarify. I have a micro switch on the side of the carb that engages the N2O at full throttle. When I use the N2O, I let off just enough to get off the switch, and use the clutch to grab the next gear. As far as abuse to the clutch or shift forks, I'd pick the clutch as it's WAY easier to replace!! As I said I have used a ton of nitrous through my DS shifting this way, and until he rode it and did the nasty never a problem. I also still have the stock rev limiter to keep me from floating valves etc. On a side note you will need heavy clutch springs and I sanded my steel plates to roughen them up. I get about a year out of a clutch before it really begins to slip.

Old 09-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i read ya Doc, that's how I shift now, and how I planned to shift on the bottle as well, thanks for confirming.
And thanks killer, I didn't know the solenoids were lifetime, that's great. nothing but good to say about NX.

Old 09-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

after seeing jeff run and talking to him and gary i think i'll go with the nx, system

Old 09-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jeff runs n2o on his 760, don't he? Or is it the 830?

Quick Reply: Holley, NX, or Boondocker?