CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

First ride on the DS

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ride on the DS

Yup i bled the system when i changed the oil. When you first start riding it the light doesn't come on but as soon as it gets warmed up it starts flickering at stops and low rpms.

Old 08-18-2003, 01:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

sounds like a bad oil pressure switch. mine did the same thing 3 years ago. i wouldn't ignore it though. get a new switch or a gauge so you can rely on a working warning system.

the light is also activated by a coolant temperature switch. if the DS is about to overheat, the light will come on.

Old 08-18-2003, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

i've been reading some old post on oil pressure and switches. Was is ever determined if the switch for a 350 chevy was the same for the bomb. How difficult is it to hook up an oil pressure gauge?

So does the fan normally run a lot on these bad ****'s? Mine seemed to be on all the time this past weekend. Of course it was 90 with 4000% humidity.

Who ever thought of one light to severe two functions should be slapped. It's not like they broke the bank on the size of the idiot lights. like they couldn't of put a third one on it.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

If you have a 2000 DS and the oil switch has never been replaced...you should go to your Bomb dealer and buy a new one...Tell them you have a 2000 with the OLD style switch...She will hook you up with new connectors and a new kind of switch...

It's easy as 1-2-3...The switch is just behind your heat shield...It sticks out and has a wire connected to it. Just disconnect the wire and unscrew the threaded switch...The newer ones are very different than the old ones...It will come to like 15$ for the new switch and connectors...

Your bike might be running lean if your fan is always on....Find a long open road and cruise at 1/2 throttle on 5th gear for a few minutes....Even WOT if you want....then coast to a stop...Flick the emergency stop switch to off...and see if your fan is running (That's the case for me anyway...cuz I can't hear if it's running or not with my pipe being so loud..Have to turn it off).

And do a plug check...

Sidenote, that oil change link Sam gave us...it says to Bleed the oil thing no matter what..even if the light doesnt come on when u restart it...and if you don't..your engine is running without oil ?? Well I haven't bled mine last time and havent had a problem with many hours since then....so that's bs...

Jeff

Old 08-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks to all for the info. I'm going to the dealer after work anyway so i will see about getting a new switch.

What's the deal with hooking up an oil pressure gauge and a temp gauge. I'm guessing you can just get an electrical type guage and hook them up. Is this correct? Do i need special senders or anything like that. not used to all this technology on the bomb. The 2 stroke is a little easier on the mind.

Old 08-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

You can buy a good liquid-filled mechanical oil pressure gauge from Autometer...

The Pro-Comp series matches with the tach available for the DS...so if you ever buy a tach...You'll have matching gauges. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

All you need to do is screw in a NPT fitting into where the old switch used to be...connect an oil line to it that goes all the way up to the gauge itself...and Hook it in. MAKE SURE YOU POSITION THE GAUGE AT A SAFE PLACE....IF THE GAUGE BREAKS OFF IN A ROLLOVER...YOU LOSE ALL OF YOUR OIL...which is bad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 08-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

the DS does have some hardcore engine braking. you'll get used to it. i like it much more now. less lever braking...

Rob

Old 08-19-2003, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went and order a new pressure switch yesterday so hopefully this fixes the problem.

Thanks to all for the information it was a great help.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2003, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Actually I noticed this morning...I was out riding...Then I stop for a break and let it idle...The oil light would flicker on and off about once every 2 seconds or so... Is it possible I need to bleed the oil thing? (I forget if I can do that without losing any oil???

Jeff

Old 08-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

with new sensor, i have seen a valid flicker at idle when the oil was way past need of changing.

Quick Reply: First ride on the DS