CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

carb basics..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb basics..

javex,

I'm not saying the problem is not carb related, but what I'm saying is I would look at the basic stuff on a 04 before crackin the carb.

Are you sure the choke is pushed all the way in? What does you dealer say?

Have you tried the gas cap trick? Re-jetting seems drastic because the dealer should have set the jets for your altitude before he sold it.

Although I wouldn't rule any adjustment......But I have been under the impression most bikes ship with *decent* jetting from the factory.

If you're bent to tweak the carb, pop the top offf and move the clip one or two up or down and see it the problem gets better or worse. Or buy the after market kit and mess with that. Even those kits need you to move the needle clip for best performance.

jbt

Old 08-31-2003, 10:32 AM
Range Rover
Default carb basics..

i did check some things u said...the air filter is tight..never was loose .. i did look for a kinked hose...i was going to try the gas cap trick , but like i said in my last post .. the problem seems to be going away again .. i definetly will try the gas cap trick if it starts doing it again .. the choke is pushed in all the way .. thx for the info..

Old 08-31-2003, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default carb basics..

I would do as told before, check the gas cap, and all of the lines to the carb are OK.

Next question, You had said that it is all stock, but is the lid to the air box on or off?

Next question, is the rubber boot from the air box to the carb the same as the older style DS's? Did they change this boot since the 2000 model?

Also, is the airfilter clean? The foam and filter have to be clean or it will not run right.

What happens with the gas cap is, there is no vent in the cap. The vent to the gas tank is under the plastic and has like a mile of hose attached to it. This hose will get hot and melt, not letting your tank take in air when you ride, thus, creating a vacume and not letting the motor have enough fuel. This is seen more when you have a full tank of gas.

DuneDevil

Old 08-31-2003, 02:14 PM
Range Rover
Default carb basics..

Where exactly does the hose hook up to on the gas tank. When I was working on mine the hose came completly off and I can't seem to find where it goes.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-31-2003, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default carb basics..

Where exactly does the hose hook up to on the gas tank.

It is on top of the gas tank under the tank cover.

DuneDevil

Old 08-31-2003, 09:44 PM
cop
Pro Rider
Default carb basics..

I too have this stumbling issue, but I feel it is because I am in too high of a gear and my RPM's are too low for that gear. This is exactly the issue posted in the first post. The remedy, burp the clutch to get more rpm's or downshift to a lower gear. The 04' comes with a 16 tooth front spocket, not sure about other years, and needs to be revved. When just putting along in first or second through some tight areas and wanting to floor it in an opening I burp the clutch, give a little throttle at the same time to bring up the rpm's and release the clutch. this puts me right back into the powerband and the quad just rockets off. The quad has to be at a certain rpm level to jump at full throttle the way you want it to. Try to give a manual car full throttle in third gear when doing 5mph and see what happens, it will stumble and exccelerate very slowly until it can pull the right rpm's for the gear chosen. I hope I helped you and I am not the one with a problem too. Good luck.