CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Spinner was away...Spinner is back...Read :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinner was away...Spinner is back...Read :)

I've been away for 3 days at a friend's ATV/Hunting camp about 2 hours from here. Rode the DS for hours and many many miles along with another 15-20 quads (Mostly utes, 2 400EX's that I could roost on and make fun of)... We rode through endless networks of logging roads, wooded trails, mud trails, open fields and pits.. Even blacktop roads... Had a grand GRAND time with big ole' DS... The DS did not fail me but I learned a few things that are quite intresting...

1. I learned from a mechanic that was there (works at my local Arctic Cat dealer/ATV shop) and he filled me in on the work he had done on my DS before I bought it... Ends up last March (2003), they did a complete engine rebuild on my quad (New piston, new crank, new cylinder, etc.).. He said there was an odd noise when the engine was running...so they split the cases and found the crank was going out and the piston and cylinder were damaged... Anyway, cost the previous owner 3300$ for parts and labor on that very day... This was music to my ears... This was done in march and I bought the quad in april... Meaning the engine was brand new when I bought it...Probably just coming off the break-in period..

Meaning I have like less than 30 hours on my motor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].. I don't get why the previous owner neglected to mention he had re-done the engine before he sold it to me... I would have been happier buying a Great-shape DS with a brand new motor, a stage 1 kit all for less than what most stock DS's went for at the time.. Anyway...I'm happy to hear it...

2. I also had my battery tested before we left friday morning, and it ended up testing out fine... Meaning there is a problem in my charging system... Because I have to recharge my battery every one or two rides or else it will start to click and not start at the end of the ride... I have checked the fuses...they are fine..

Comments are appreciated [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks for reading..

Jeff

Old 09-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

those are good things things to find out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you had a real good time and got some great info on your quad.
As far as the charging system. test it with the bike running. I think it is suposed to read over 13v. Not sure though. maybe someone else will know for sure.

Old 09-02-2003, 01:29 AM
Trailblazer

Put a voltmeter on the battery terminals with the engine off, then again with the engine running. The voltage should go up about 1 1/2 volts when the engine is running if the charging system is working right.