CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why is my motor running really rich?.... I'm lost here..

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my motor running really rich?.... I'm lost here..

Well I asked something similar to this quite a while back but I'm still scratching my melon.....

Ok I have the stock carb, DJ kit, K&N filter w/outerware, spring mod, and vacume ports enlarged....

I had the spring mod set up at 6 coils cut off but I stretched it back a bit so I'm guessing it would be like 4 coils cut off. I have a bunch of holes in the airbox lid and this is odd because I should be running severly lean!!

ok it runs a tad lean on bottom end due to the fact that I've been to lazy to get a bigger pilot but this is nothin... I have my DJ needle set on second notch from the top and believe it or not a DJ 165 main, yes a 165!! This is why I'm so lost here.. anything past quarter throttle(past the pilot jet circut and up) it runs really rich and by ALL RIGHTS it shouldn't even run because it should be jetted to lean!! Don't get me wrong it runs good, but when I do plug checks the electrode is a rust color tan and the base and everything is black... I also have a White Brothers e-series pipe, but I'm confused.... the disks on my pipe are black and the plugs are pretty much black, but it runs good.... But I know it would run better if jetted right but I'M REALLY WONDERING WHY IT'S RUNNING RICH!!!! What can I do?....... thanks again for putting up with me.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

How many disks on your E-series?

Did you ever find a fix for your computer? Mine does the same thing!

Old 09-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have the regular 12 disks in.... but that's not it, it ran really rich my gutted out stock pipe, MBRP, and my FMF Power Core 4...... It not the exhaust..

And yes my computer still does the same $hit!!! I tried everything and I mean EVERYTHING so I said F#%K it!!

Anyone have any ideas here? This is really odd.... i just don't get why it's running so rich from quarter throttle up... It don't sputter or anything but the plugs are really dark and I know I would gain some power if it wasn't as rich as it is...... It does run good though.... Really good....... I'm confused as all hell....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-02-2003, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone have any idea's? I'm not sure if I should buy an even smaller main and/or lower the needle all the way..... If no one has any ideas I'm just gonna leave it untill winter....

Old 09-02-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

I have found on the dyno that pulling the factory air tubes out of the air box takes the air fuel ratio down (richer) two hole points. Yes you are reading this right. Air tubes out=RICH. Air tubes in=LEAN. The holes in your air box combined with drilling the slide is making it go rich.

MrHorsepower

Old 09-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Lovely...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] SO, if I just tap my airbox lid it will be better? I can't do anything about the slide except get a different one, but will it be BETTER with the lid taped up? Thank you MisterHP!!!!

Old 09-03-2003, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

When you changed your main jet, You did change the jet inside the fuel tube and not the starter jet?

If your float bowl is too high, this will richen your readings.
I prefer to run 1mm low from spec..

Old 09-03-2003, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider

Even if he changed his starter jet... it won't run rich on the high end (3/4 and up)...

trust me on this one....
<u>AS stated last week, I had a;</u>
165 main
185 starter (should be a 45)
40 pilot.
2.5 turns out
stock needle, second position
My DS ran, not great... and it wasn't rich at all. But until it warmed up did it pop and wheeze... Once warm I could ride it as normal. Only a sputter or stumble every blue moon. It was just underpowered due to the lean jetting condition. It also has no airbox lid as I'm using the PPD design, no air tubes, and a K&N with outerwear. Straight through Ron Woods pipe.

<u>Now it's at;</u>
190 main -mikuni
45 starter -mikuni
47.5 pilot -mikuni
3 turns out
Alba needle, 4th position
Drilled vacuum holes
4 coils cut

And it runs like a champ now. Or striped ape I think Hightower put it.

Old 09-03-2003, 07:14 AM
Pro Rider

How are your floats? Did you mabye bump them while changing jets? I have a DJ 185 with needle in second position and that seems just a tad rich but runs great.

Old 09-03-2003, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Buy a new spring and go back to the stock spring. IMO that spring thing is a bad idea. I spoke with a few people at DS Days including Gary from TVI and we all decided it's not good. I've notice ever since I tried it my wife bikes was just so rich it would puck on itself. Jiminok and I replaced it with the stock spring and that thing just screamed up the hill. Jim couldn't believe how a DS with just a slip on and cdi could get up some of those steep hills.

DON'T CUT THE SPRING!!!!!

Quick Reply: Why is my motor running really rich?.... I'm lost here..