CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Baja X,,,Faster than ever?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 05:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja X,,,Faster than ever?

I just rode the Baja X...This thing rocks! Not only does it look cool, really cool, it has an almost two-stroke like power hit on the top end. I have a 01' DS and a '02 Baja, still, and this X seems to me to have all the advantages, no disadvantages, and a lot more power....Am I on crack? I want it!,,,er, the X, not the crack!

It is narrower in the back by a smidge, not sure where they did it, maybe the hubs, might swap out before I sell the old DS or Baja. "Iaho laula" (Wider is better)

BTW...I almost went for a Predator. I like the low center of gravity and the low first gear, but I really am a DS kind of guy....Number three,,,,It is so cool.

Old 09-05-2003, 06:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

What do you suppose is different with the power? Like different ignition, cams....?

Old 09-05-2003, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

I've never rode a X, but my 02 Baja feels the same as LIX described after I went back to the lid and snorkels. It had that piped Banshee feel when the tach hit 5500, now after the cams and piston it does it at 6500. My buddy dsbomb has no lid or snorkels and his engine feels the total opposite, a ton of power at (what should be) around 3000-5000 but levels off. We have identical exhausts (RWR w/disks) and our last few races mine ran better in 4th and 5th gear, and mine has had stock Baja cdi on it!!!

I wonder if the extra 200 rpms in the Baja cdi is the only difference, or did they also advance the timing?

Old 09-05-2003, 09:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Are the 04's available yet? I read they will be 40lbs lighter.

Old 09-05-2003, 10:18 AM
Trailblazer

I never rode an earlier model because no one around here sold them But I just got me '04 X and it REALLY runs. It will make short work of a stock Raptor which was close, maybe a little faster than my V-Force. I have to believe it's the fastest machine out of the box.

Old 09-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i've rode the new models and have to say they are faster than the older versions, good job bomb[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2003, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Aluminum upper a-arms and 1"shorter swingarm, cast aluminum, really nice, plus a plastic headlight (with two bulbs) then add the Baja stuff, lights, handguards,wheels, plus the X stuff, nerfs, gas shocks, skids.

Weight savings plus real goodies....So it is going to weigh about the same, maybe a little more than a Predator or Raptor with the same equipment. It won't fly as well as a Z-400, but that's kid stuff anyway.
It stalls out trying to wheelie, same carb problem on all of them, except for the Z-400, which has a pressurized fuel system making it the wheelie king, but that's more kid stuff. I might put an end cap on it to flatten out that power band a little,,,,but we'll see.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

there was an 04 DS at DS Days stock that was very close to me on the hill. They had to have done something in the motor. After talking with gary he thinks they might have put in different cams. He said he will be opening one up soon. He talked to bombardier and said they made no changes but they had to of to make it that fast

Old 09-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sure the X's feel faster than previous years because of the reduced weight. There is nothing different in the motor department though.... Same rev limiter as the previous baja's at 7900RPM, no internal changes so I think it's the weight difference that makes them a bit quicker than before.

Old 09-05-2003, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello Y'all!!!!

Personally, I would take a DS 650 over a Predator....bone stock....the DS is a better quad.....I have test ridden the 04 and 03...the '04 tends to want to stand up more than the 03' due to the shorter swing arm....but it is still a tight ride.....the predator? there got to be some reason they (polaris) hired a test group of 6 individuals to give feedback 6 months after they released the Predator to the public.......you would think that they would do R&D before you release a quad.....

Quick Reply: Baja X,,,Faster than ever?