CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Clutch Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slipping

I noticed today my clutch is starting to slip in 4th and 5th....Quad only has about 50 hours on it.Is this comon.I have seen alot of topics about clutch springs.Seems like most like RW Springs.Will these springs do the trick? Will my clutch lever be alot stiffer? Do i need a new clutch or just springs?

Old 09-10-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Slipping

If you go with RWR springs get the 60%. Yes it will make your lever more stiff. Youll have to check your plates but I would change the fibers and sand the steels with fine paper and install the 60% springs. What oil are you running. This could cause your clutches to slip.

Old 09-10-2003, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Slipping

With only 50 hours and no mods I would have to agree that your clutch shouldn't be slipping...might check your adjustment at the handlebar. Loosen it up to where you have about 1/2" to 3/4" of play in the lever--that should equate to about 1/4" play or less at the clutch actuator arm on the case side. Definately...what oil ore you using? Your wet clutch doesn't like synthetics too much and will be ruined if you use it. A blend is okay but make sure the oil is specifically for wet clutches. YOu can do a search for past threads concerning the diff oils that people are having success with. I personally am using Castor 10-40 w/no problems but am also running the PAMI springs purchased thru TVI. I think RWRs 60% are about $25...

Jim

Old 09-10-2003, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Slipping

thats true check you free play at the lever. I have had really good luck with Honda in the gold bottle.10/40

Old 09-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch Slipping

I have plenty of freeplay so thats not the prob.I am running Spectro 10/40 (Not Synthetic) so i guess that should be ok.As far as mods...at what point do the mods seem to become a prob with clutch slippage? All i have is an end cap and jet kit.Smaller 15 tooth sprocket in front (which should help slippage not create it ).I am a big guy though.....maybe thats a big prob? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Also where or how is the best way to order the RW springs? Is there an online order form or do you have to call?

Old 09-10-2003, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Slipping

www[dot]rotax[dot]net....949.645.8692

Old 09-10-2003, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clutch Slipping

I got mine at www.on dunes.com
(Take out the space, it's all one word[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])

Old 09-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Clutch Slipping

yes just piping and jetting raises the need for stiffer springs, especially if you geared down and are a big guy, also particularly when wearing sand paddles.
get the stiffer springs for sure, while you're in there you can measure to inspect the fibers for excessive wear - it doesn't take much slipping at all to wear on the fibers, I had to replace my fibers after just 50 hours of running a piped DS with stock springs, but the stiffer springs will allow good fibers to last a long time. stack all the disks up, measure total thickness with a micrometer - min thickness is 1.083" (rotax spec) - anything less is trash.
when you reinstall disks, take note the very last one goes in a set of notces all its own, not to be installed in the same set of grooves as the rest. if installing new disks, soak in oil before install, do not put in dry.

Old 09-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default Clutch Slipping

Originally posted by: Hightower
yes just piping and jetting raises the need for stiffer springs, especially if you geared down and are a big guy, also particularly when wearing sand paddles.

Sounds good except i tend to disagree with one thing....By gearing down you take stress away from your drive train.Lower gearing makes it easier on the clutch.Going with a taller gearing wether it be taller tires or higher gearing ( bigger front or smaller rear sprocket ) will strain the drivetrain more by making it harder to turn your tires.Right now my clutch slips in 4th and 5th not 1st through 3rd....why? cause the gears are lower.

Old 09-10-2003, 03:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Clutch Slipping

my bad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Clutch Slipping