CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What to look for in a GPS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for in a GPS

Ok, I thought I'd start this thread after I purchased my new GPS. I've talked with a lot of guys before I got mine and these are the features I like best. List what you like too.

1) Map Display with Two Modes - North Up or Track Up.
I like this feature by using the track up when I ride, but north up when I am hiking.

2) Speed gauges with one display of constant speed and another with top speed.
It's perfect for figuring out your top speed without looking at the gauge.

3) Adjustable back-light timer or constant on.
Good for night riding when you don’t have it hooked up to quad power.

4) Ability to find, save and name over 50 waypoints (by either marking where you are or entering coordinates)
Mark all your favorite hills and then find the quickest way to get to them!

5) Ability to save and name tracks
Follow a trail and save the track for future reference.

6) Ability to handle over 6 Gs of force and keep working
even when it takes a beating.

7) Waterproof.
Good if it rains!

There are lots of other features I like, but I thought these were the ones that I liked the best. I ended up with the Cobra GPS 500 and got it for under $150.

Old 09-18-2003, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider

Some of the features you list are great to have....

I currently use a;
Meridian Color (Magellan) on my DS and my XR.
(the color is hard to see in direct daylight though.... but works awesome in night!!)

I used to use a Sportrack Pro (Magellan)... but it didn't have a very necessary function which was;

The ability to save 'breadcrumbs' in segments.
Most GPSs can only save one segment .... but with the Memory stick, I can save each leg or segment of breadcrumbs... let alone my routes and waypoints. Not only that, but they've got 16mb of storage in nonviolatile memory and a 256mb stick.

I've ridden miles and miles over the Baja 500/1000/2000 courses with them. Great units. Magellan also sells "bicycle" mounts and 12v hardwire kits.... saves "shut off" due to battery loss of connection and/or drainage.

Two thumbs up! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I just got a Garmin Rhino 120. Me and a buddy of mine got these for riding and for hunting. The cool thing is they are a two-way radio also. So when riding with a buddy or in a party you don't have to carry radio's along with a GPS. They broadcast on FRS (2-mile)and GMRS (5-mile). The neatest feature about these is that while your in radio contact with anybody in your party the Rhino sends there GPS location to your radio. So you know excactly where they're at, in what direction and how long it will take to get to them at the current speed your traveling. We tried these out on a scouting trip a couple of weeks ago and they worked pretty well. I could try and list all the other features but here's a link if anyone want's to check them out.

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino120/

Don't buy one from a sporting goods store... I got mine online from getagps.com for $200 and it was here with in a couple of day's.

Old 09-19-2003, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

Magellan Sport Trak Pro plus rugged ram mount, can be wired to bike, not to expensive, I think its water resistent enough to float and has a large screen. GPS City.com got the mounts and other accessories.

Old 09-19-2003, 05:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bombastic
Magellan Sport Trak Pro plus rugged ram mount, can be wired to bike, not to expensive, I think its water resistent enough to float and has a large screen. GPS City.com got the mounts and other accessories.
I just sold my Sportrak Pro.... it doesn't allow the saving of "breadcrumb" tracks as separate legs. ONLY routes and waypoints... and when it saves the Breadcrumbs... it will save them as one leg or trail. Meaning.... You end your hike/ride.... come home and power it up to see where you had been, show your buddies...whatever. And the second it get's a fix the breadcrumb trail will link to the last spot you were at. LAME if you're downloading to a PC.

I now own the Meridian... it allows you to save the breadcrumbs, waypoints and routes all as separate entities... and anytime you want. So you could save a trail each time you want a specific area marked... And not have to deal with one Looooong breadcrumb trail. Slightly larger than the Sportrak... but still has all the accessories and a nice screen.

Old 09-20-2003, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

I have a Garmin etrex Legend and am happy with it. Nice and small, battieries last a long time and it has a very high resolution display. To me the main feature is the ability to upload street or topo maps.