CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 08:53 AM
BK
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander problems?

I am considering an Outlander for my next machine. I do a lot of trail riding in rough rocky areas. Someone told me the suspension is easily broken on the Outlander so it has gotten me second guessing my choice of this machine. Has anyone heard anything like this or have an opposing veiwpoint? I want something that is fairly quick with a good ride that is also a capable mudder, rock and hill climber. The 'lander seems to be the machine that would fit my needs if it is durable.

Old 09-18-2003, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've put 200 miles in about 3 days of riding on my lander 400. I've encountered no problems with the suspension at all. I would think that because of the design and the huge decrease in moving parts compared to other wheelers that the lander would be more durable than most. I've had only 2 problems with my lander the stock brake pads wore out after 60 miles and the rear diff had a casting defect that made it leak.

Have you looked at artic cat?.....they make an awsom machine too.

Chris

Old 09-19-2003, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

No problems at all with my lander... and anyone that has ridden wiht me will tell you that im not easy on my lander.. This thing is a beast in rough rocky terrain..
Btw ive got about 300 miles and 30 hours on my lander....

Old 09-19-2003, 03:54 AM
Range Rover

I got 1000 mi. on mine (very hard riding) and haven't had any problems yet but the brakes look low. I constantly race much larger machines through tight technical terrain and can pass them out because of the stability and handling of the Outlander.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2003, 09:07 AM
BK
Pro Rider

Glad to hear the good reports. I am also considering the Arctic Cat 400i because a good suspension is one of the most important qualities to me. Reliability is also extremely important. Of course speed and power play a role as well or I would just go with the Cat. We are in a great time in ATVs. There are so many GOOD choices, it just makes it hard to make a decision. It is funny to think that not that many years ago a 400 was considered a big-bore! Keep the input coming, I'll try to find out what part of the suspension broke on the 'lander I heard about. It was a very reliable source though.

Old 09-22-2004, 03:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a 400 HO in July and I love the handling

My likes are:
great handling, easy operation
dont have to worry about the brakes or anything else except alignment and flats when you ride rough and hard in rock and trees.
As others have said I can beat most if naot all in tight woods but I have been beaten in a straightaway by a heavier man on a Kodiac 400.

My cons are:
Hard to start on occasion
Factory tires are sad soft and wear fast on rock I ride witha guy with a 04 Bruin and he has better traction
Its hard to shift ranges: rode a friends Vinson 500, loved the range shift lever (ha) and handling was almost comparable
Shift lever is thin and I have bent and re-bent mine several times(metal is fatigued). I no longer have to push in the brake to change gear range(could be bad). I also need to rebend it to get the stop positions to line up with the slots in the plastic housing.

Racks are OK for bungee hooks but very hard to tie down a heavy load (no lip and can't get big hands under the plastic racks ver easy) RACK EXTENSIONS are a must if you plan to haul anything on the ATV.
You have to stop to put it in 4wd.
Very few aftermarket parts or accessories and bombardier charges a premium for everything down to the filters over 12 each at my dealer.

I am a pessimist I like the bombardier so dont let my negativity turn you off to it

Old 09-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

not to turn you off because i definetly recomend the outlander but i have 60 hrs on mine and i somehow blew a front shock.i dont know how.seal broke .but let me tell you ive owned many 4 wheel drive atvs this outlander is definetly the MOST comfortable ride ive ever owned.im sure the other outlander owners can vouch for that.as for handling terrain absolutely awesome and stable.wouldnt trade it for the world.and by the way.any make atv will eventually have mechanical failure guaranteed.my opinion is the outlander
is reliable and very smooth[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]