CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

a grasshoppers TM45

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a grasshoppers TM45

This is my first post so… Hello to all…

First off, I have to give a huge "THANK YOU" to Hightower and ScoobyDFW for all the help their past posts have given me. With the help oh those two I have attained enlightenment at the art of tuning my TM45, and woohoohoo is it ever a grrrrreat place to be.

I have been working for months to understand the zen of tuning my tm45. I think I was thinking to hard about it (I think). It didn’t seem to matter what adjustments I did, I never had a warm fuzzy that the jetting was correct (scared of going lean). So I decided to have the quad tuned on a dyno. After having that done I was under the impression that this was it, this is as good as it got. At first I was truly disappointed with the power output; I thought all my hard earned dollars had gone to waste. Then I came across a post by Hightower, in which he explained each circuit and how to tune it (magnificent instructions by the way). I thought about it and started tinkering. Little improvements here little improvements there; then bamm I’m pointed straight at the sky in THIRD (Big Grin), and she was still pulling real hard after I got her settled back down.

Things I’ve learned about the TM45:
- If properly tuned, the accelerator pump is not needed to get rid of the bog associated with these carbs. (The only time mine will bog is if I hammer the throttle wide open while idling at a stand still.)
- The soft spring is simply a gift from the gods.
- The stock cable works great on it. Just use the little doodad that holds the end of the cable to the stock carb. When you remove the cable from the stock carb you’ll see what I’m talking about.
- The RWR throttle cable SUCKS DezNutz, just my opinion…
- Read, Read, Read… The past posts in this forum are worth more than a highly trained mechanic when it comes to these things.
- That it is a great carb once mastered.

My Ride:
03 Baja
Vortex CDI
RWR Ported Intake
TM45
- 32.5 pilot (still rich)
- 95 needle, middle clip
- 150 main (a little rich, I think)
- Soft Spring
- No Accelerator Pump
K&N (in the box, no lid), and a carb mount (went back to the box)
MBRP Race Headers and Exhaust (with screen in)
+1 Steering Stem
TAG T2 (CR High)
Pro Design Kill Switch
Roll Design Pegs
SS Brake Lines

Old 09-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Does the soft spring make it so you can ride all day without killing your thumb? Were do you get these springs? I am in big need of them.

Old 09-26-2003, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Squatcher
Does the soft spring make it so you can ride all day without killing your thumb? Were do you get these springs? I am in big need of them.
In a word "easily"

Ron Woods Racing caries them

I modified my heavy spring first and got it to a point where it would have worked very well. But in doing so I created a safety hazard for myself.

The key is to change the position of the bend on the spring that rest against the carb, not to decrease the number of coils. I got the hard throttle spring perfect but then realized all the coils I cut off were needed to keep the spring from moving side to side, wide open throttle is cool but only when I want it... At most I would cut off around 3/4 of the last coil then make a new bend. Think about this before you do it, those coils can come off quick…

I haven't needed to try it yet but I think this would be a great solution for someone using the Accelerator Pump. I believe the pump spring has way more force than is needed to push the pump rod down so I think you might be able to modify the pump spring and use the soft throttle spring or a modified hard throttle spring to allow use of the pump without it killing your thumb.

Old 09-27-2003, 03:11 AM
Pro Rider

I have been working for months to understand the zen of tuning my tm45. I think I was thinking to hard about it (I think). It didn’t seem to matter what adjustments I did, I never had a warm fuzzy that the jetting was correct (scared of going lean). So I decided to have the quad tuned on a dyno. After having that done I was under the impression that this was it, this is as good as it got.

HHHmmmm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I will be getting a set next week.

Old 09-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Squatcher
Thanks for the info. I will be getting a set next week.
That's nice to know... I was born with mine... Weird.