ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   Sand Rails (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/119420-sand-rails.html)

Yamaharacer 10-06-2003 11:15 AM

Sand Rails

Does anyone know anything about the funco sse that was in sand sports this month. It has the hult painted on it and the background is orange. It was at the SSSS 2002? How fast can yuo go through the whoops with the funcos? Can it wheelie real easy with 330HP? What has changed from the Big 5 Gen 3 to Gen 4? How much are the used Buckshot X-5s going for with a north star or Ls1? Does andrew buck sell any of his rails because ive never seen a buckshot used for sale.

Batoutahell 10-06-2003 05:22 PM

Sand Rails

You need to talk to Grant at funco, he can answer all your questions. I would also log on to glamisdunes.com, lots of good info over there.

I dont know alot about the buckshots. But once in awhile you see a used one for sale. It seems that any of the later model long travels sell used for about $40,000 and up.

Yamaharacer 10-06-2003 07:25 PM

Sand Rails

Where have you seen used buckshots? Does grant answer his Email?

Batoutahell 10-06-2003 08:55 PM

Sand Rails

I saw a used buckshot on the dunebuggy.com classifieds back a couple of months, dont know if it is still there or not. It was about $55,000 if I remember. I also saw one on the glamisdunes.com site again it was awhile back and I dont think that one listed a price.

Grant has had problems with his email at work, but he will usually answer. However, it is much quicker to call and talk to him.

bat

mystereid 10-07-2003 12:19 AM

Sand Rails

Bat, what kind of engine are you going with or have you decided?

Batoutahell 10-07-2003 01:01 AM

Sand Rails

Originally posted by: mystereid
Bat, what kind of engine are you going with or have you decided?
As of yet I am undecided. Funco is a fan of the subaru engines, for me it is between the ls1, or subaru. They both have thier good and bad points. I still have a bit of time before they start on the chassis, so I will still have to research it more.

bat

KMDuner 10-13-2003 03:38 PM

Sand Rails

Alright guys after this weekend seeing the rails do wheelies down the track the wife decided that she wants more motor. So what's the deal with these Mazda and Subaru engines. How do they compair to the v-8's? What about reliability and the ability to find parts in a crunch. Obviously the v-8's parts will be real easy to find.

There are some very reasonably price resale cars for sale with the smaller motors. What kind of HP are these things putting out?

Give me your opionions. Jeff, Bat, Marbleous, reed, etc.

Batoutahell 10-13-2003 06:53 PM

Sand Rails

For me the engine is between the subaru 2.5 turbo or the ls1. Funco likes the subaru, because they are small and light. The only drawback I see is running race fuel.

I have heard good and bad about the mazda's, I dont know much about them. I heard something about apex seals being a problem on the rotarys.

I know with subaru's you can make 300 hp easy, 450 hp takes a bit more work on the bottom end and you can make up to about 600 hp.

I am thinking of starting with a 300 hp turbo subaru, and that way I can use the mendeola e trans. It is a bit less money. Then in a year or so I can up the hp on the subi and upgrade the e series to the 2d.

with a v8 I would have to start with a 2d.

I have really been going back and forth on the engine thing. I can also get a 2.0 turbo mitsibishi for cheap, but after looking at parts and stuff it would cost me more and the engine is not as common as the other options.

That probably does not help much, but you can see my dilema with this whole thing.

bat

ThePunisher 10-13-2003 09:01 PM

Sand Rails

The engine of choice lately seems to be the Honda v-6 Turbo. Very reliable, and run on pump gas. They put out around 400 h.p. turned down and up to 500h.p. turned up! The 2.5 Subaru's don't like anything more than 300 h.p. because you have to replace the whole bottom end to get more out of them. Personally I think if you are running a light weight car a Subaru Turbo is good enough. I think a good V-6 motor is the best of both worlds! Hey Bat just a word of advise, just get what you think you may want, because if you go to small you will always be upgrading and it will cost you more money in the long run.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Batoutahell 10-13-2003 09:14 PM

Sand Rails

Punisher, you are correct, the honda is a good alternative also. And I agree with what you are saying about getting what you want the first time, that is why I went with the funco. The engine decision becomes more difficult. Everyone likes something different. Grant is finishing up a gen 4 with an ls1 and said he would be driving it pretty soon. I am waiting to see his opinion. He is a fan of the subies. It will be interesting to see what he has to say.

The funco's are a little shorter then some other 5 seaters and the weight in the rear becomes more of an issue. This is a good discussion, I am waiting to see other opinions.

KMduner, what engine are you leaning toward?

bat