CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Plug heat range effect on jetting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug heat range effect on jetting?

I'm still trying to get my jetting figured out after going with a 720, seems to be way too fat. Would installing "9" heat range plugs have any effect on jetting?

Old 09-29-2003, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

I would also like to know the answer to this question. I'm running a little rich so will a 1 heat range hotter plug help?.... Also HillyBilly, the smaller the # on the plug the HOTTER it is. For example a D8ES is hotter than a D9ES. Just letting you know in case you wern't sure....

Old 09-29-2003, 07:02 PM
Range Rover

That part I did know, but was advised by Sam Coe after doing my 720 to use a colder plug to help absorb some of the heat from the steel sleeve. He also advised me to mix my coolant 75% water & 25% coolant, this seemed to be ok for the summer but I'll be switching back to 60/40 or 50/50 when the temps drop here below the 40's. So.......any takers on the effect of the plug on jetting?

Old 09-29-2003, 08:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

The plugs havnt shown me any difference in color when changeing to cooler or hotter plugs...Where do you have your needle set at? Ive noticed when trying to get them dialed in it is harder when needle is set at a fatter position. Also depending on what octane fuel your running..some of the higher octane fuels like c-12 or c-14 look lean but could be rich, you might get a grey-ish color instead of a tan.. Do you have stock tm 45 internal parts?? what is your elevation? air fuel mixture setting?

Old 09-29-2003, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

I am running the leanest needle (97) in the top (leanest) position believe it or not! My main is a 145 with a 40 pilot & 50 accel. pump nozzle with 2 turns out on the airscrew. I'm at about 1750' elevation, 75 degree temps. Fuel "was" 115 octane Turbo blue non-oxygenated (way too rich) but I am going back to Sunoco GT 100 oxygenated. Bike seems sluggish compared to same setup w/o pump activated & there is tremendous carbon buildup on the exhaust tip. Plugs (D9EA) are grayish. Wondering if pump is throwing me off that much, really want to keep it for the added off-idle punch & lack of bog. Heeeeeelp?!?!......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If i were you I would put everything in the carb back to the way it comes straight from Ron Woods, first try to put the needle in the middle or one step leaner from middle clip. and I would recomend 105 octane if it is at 12:5, depending on compression..I actually had the same prob with my 48mm carb..The needle was set on the leanest position and i kept wondering why it wanted to run better with bigger main jet but no matter what i couldnt get a clear plug reading...I had great results with stock internal tm 45 pilots and needles etc.[ the way woods sends them out]. I have no accelorator pump, needle set one step leaner than the middle position..105 octane and air fuel mix out 1 1/2..115 and 145 main jet...non-oxygenated gas will run way rich with your compression as you know...if it had oxygen in it, it might run a bit leaner, so that is one of your probs..Does it bog over woops and jumps?..maybe not, due to accelorator pump..Good luck

Old 09-29-2003, 09:39 PM
Range Rover

So, you think I'd be taking a big chance running 100 octane fuel? I could mix 3 gallons of 100 octane oxygenated with 2 gallons 115 non-oxygenated to get 106 octane but I sure would like to have all the fuel oxygenated to help lean out the jetting. Piston is 12.5:1.

Old 09-29-2003, 09:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No, I would not run 100 straight ... I used to mix c-14 with Ultimate 4- 50/50 mix, that will wake her up..Yeah mix that 115 with ox. 100 up and see how that does with the performance, it should help.. Is your plug black?? how does the bike perform? Who put it together.

OH, i forgot to ask, is your timing advanced?? Just curious.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Range Rover

I had Sam Coe sleeve & o-ring the jug and had a local guy with whom I trust my life put her back together. Mechanically, there is not a thing wrong with her, just can't get the jetting right after activating the pump. I think you're right about the fuel....too much octane & non-oxygenated. It could also be the illusion of not as hard a hit in the midrange because of the added bottom end due to the pump. I'll try your suggestions about the needle & such & post results...many thanks for the words of wisdom!!

Old 09-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

I don't mean to butt in here, but what would the affects be if I ran a 1 heat range hotter plug? Would it just run warmer or what?

Quick Reply: Plug heat range effect on jetting?