CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Compression ratio happiness

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compression ratio happiness

Guys, I'm working on my winter up-grade plans. From what I understand, the 11.5 piston is th highest you can go on pump gas. The 12.5 sounds like more fun, but is a larger commitment on maintenance and fuel. I don't think the 13-14 ratio pistons are on the radar.

I'm looking for a cams/piston/springs combo providing the happiest medium considering reliability and fuel needs?

I ride trails, desert, and alot of sand.

jbt

Old 10-06-2003, 02:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

I would have to say stage 2..J.M.O.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i would say stage two also, but would say the race gas for the higher compression is well worth the cost, these things seem to like the compression, and when you mix it the price isn't that bad, just look at it like oil for a two stroke.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Range Rover

I've got a stock bore RWR 11.5:1 brand new in bag if you're interested in saving some $$$.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Slowride
Guys, I'm working on my winter up-grade plans. From what I understand, the 11.5 piston is th highest you can go on pump gas. The 12.5 sounds like more fun, but is a larger commitment on maintenance and fuel. I don't think the 13-14 ratio pistons are on the radar.

I'm looking for a cams/piston/springs combo providing the happiest medium considering reliability and fuel needs?

I ride trails, desert, and alot of sand.

jbt
Slowride,

I just depends on what you want. If you are like me, and tend to upgrade to the next level, why not just get the piston you will eventually upgrade to anyways. I've had the 11.5:1 for over 3 years. I liked it, but absolutely nothing compares to the 14:1. I now have tons of low end torque and gobs of high end. There is no suddenly found power band like the 11.5:1, simply even power throughout the RPM range. Personally, I don't think Race gas is that expensive compared to all the other expenses when going riding for a weekend. In fact, Im converting my 400EX over to 13:1 440 Kit - now they will all be on race gas!

Old 10-06-2003, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

so are you guys saying if I throw in a 13-14 piston on a stock bore life would be nice?

Money is always a consideration, however it has never determined the outcome of any of my projects.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

So help me walk me through this like a 5 year old. --

14:1 JE Race Piston Kit
Race Cams - Lift .425 in. duration 260 degrees.
Dual Performance Valve Springs
stock carb.
vortex
"my exhaust" (ordered the stainless tubing last week -- game on!)

I like to observe cash flow, but staring at it has never intrigued me. I want high reliability and Fourth gear power wheeelies (no clutch, just throttle).

Is this possible or am I asking something this power plant can't do without nitrous or sacrificing reliability?

I really wanted to see ANNIHILATERs gig at amorgosa. I figure the 17th, there should be some nice rides at dumont, if not halloween should bring out the nice toys......No hurrys as this is my christmas project. I just need to whale on my buddies Rap before the end of ridding season so he can listen to my lies during the summer....

jbt

jbt

Old 10-06-2003, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Slowride
so are you guys saying if I throw in a 13-14 piston on a stock bore life would be nice?

Money is always a consideration, however it has never determined the outcome of any of my projects.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

So help me walk me through this like a 5 year old. --

14:1 JE Race Piston Kit
Race Cams - Lift .425 in. duration 260 degrees.
Dual Performance Valve Springs
stock carb.
vortex
"my exhaust" (ordered the stainless tubing last week -- game on!)

I like to observe cash flow, but staring at it has never intrigued me. I want high reliability and Fourth gear power wheeelies (no clutch, just throttle).

Is this possible or am I asking something this power plant can't do without nitrous or sacrificing reliability?

I really wanted to see ANNIHILATERs gig at amorgosa. I figure the 17th, there should be some nice rides at dumont, if not halloween should bring out the nice toys......No hurrys as this is my christmas project. I just need to whale on my buddies Rap before the end of ridding season so he can listen to my lies during the summer....

jbt
- Yes - 14:1 JE Race Piston Kit
- Yes - Race Cams - Lift .425 in. duration 260 degrees.
- Yes or Shim Under Bucket (Safer) - Dual Performance Valve Springs
- Na - Dude what are you thinking? TM45, TM48 or Something .... - stock carb.
- Of course - vortex
- Dunno how good you are with exhaust - "my exhaust" (ordered the stainless tubing last week -- game on!)

Marky [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2003, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

What would be wrong with running octane booster with high compression? Could that be an option for being on a budget?

Old 10-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

I heard the really old guys drop a moth ball (or two?)in the tank for a quick octane boost! Personally I've never tried it...

Old 10-07-2003, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Most all octane boost is junk. When they say it adds 4 points of octane this is what it really means: 93 octane + octane boost = 93.4 octane. It almost worthless. I wonder if anyone has really checked the actual compression ratio of their 11.5 to 1 piston, I find it strange that one can run pump gas with that much compression???

MrHorsepower

Quick Reply: Compression ratio happiness