CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Any Outlander 400HO Owners Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Outlander 400HO Owners Out There?

I have riden the Polaris 500, we own a Kawasaki 650, 500 Quadzilla and I rode a 350 Warrior for many years. The Outlander suspension is awesome!! Nice and smooth, handles bumps like no other. Very comfortable to ride on long rides and makes long rides very enjoyable!!

Old 11-04-2003, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the response landerlady. I have a few questions for you. Thanks.

1. Would you please describe the difference in the ride between the prairie 650 and the outlander?
2. How much slower is the outlander compared to the prairie 650?
3. I think the 650 has a nice ride, however I would like to have a much more plush ride. Woud I notice a big difference if I rode the outlander after the 650?

Thanks for all your help.

Old 11-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jefffoxser, the 650 has a very fast acceleration , lots of power and the ride is decent, seat is hard and uncomfortable to me for any period of time. The Outlander doesn't have near the off the line type of accerlation BUT has lots of get up and go once your moving COMPARED to the 650. The suspension I don't think can be beat and the seat is nice and comfy. You mentioned that you like the ride of the 650, but want a softer ride. If you had the seat remade with a more forgiving foam would that help? Gee, what am I really saying here..........YES, you will be giving up power, the fast take off with the 650. I really like the ride and performance of the Outlander, but don't like the noisy driveline/shaft. But then I'm told that is the way this type of quad sounds?? Good luck.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, here is the latest on the clutch noise...It may be the bendix gear on the starter which is dragging. Though we've already sent back the motor, my mechanic recalls seeing some unusual wear on the flywheel where the starter engages. (Yeah, why didn't he mention it?) This would make perfect sense.
We ran it without a clutch belt, swapped clutches, and it still made the noise. And it never sounded like a primary component type noise, like a crank bearing or rod. A rattling clankety STARTER BENDIX sounds like a very likely candidate. Cudos have to go to TICO from ATV Frontier for figuring this one out.
Landerlady, I know you have been talking driveshaft, but I would have your dealer take a good look at the back side of the flywheel, (behind the primary clutch) and the starter. Monday morning I will call Bomb and include your case number in my discussion. The good news is this is a very simple repair, and should be easily resolved,,,,now that we know (think) what it is.......

Old 11-09-2003, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

I thought I had your case number there somewhere.....Oh, well, I'm sure we'll get somewhere with this...

Old 11-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, well, this is great news on your problem with the 400 Outlander. I hope it is this simple to repair your quad so you can sale it. I went through the review comittee with Bomb and was told that my problem isn't anything that will cause longterm problems and basically I have to deal with the noise. I just don't think they really know what the noise sounds like because when you talk with them you can tell they don't know for sure what we are talking about. I really like my quad, just HATE the noise it makes. I looked at your website NICE SHOP and got your phone number and was wondering if youd mind if my husband calls you to discuss my quad noise verses the noise you have? If so, what would be the best time to call. My dealer is more than willing to fix my quad, but Bomb told them there is nothing that can be done. HERE IS MY CASE NUMBER - 856627

Old 11-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

We are open 10-6 Tues-Fri, Sat 9-3. I will be in Monday, playing catch up, and calling Bomb.....Call any time.........ask for Alex

Old 11-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone know, what the gear ratio in low range is on the outlander 400? And would the 400 have enough power to push a 5 ft plough thru heavy snow?

Old 11-12-2003, 07:57 AM
ML
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Fourlix, I have a clunking noise coming from my outlander max. It is getting worse and happens every time I go from coasting to power. My dealer seems to think it is slack in the drivetrain. It did not do this when I bought the unit. Also do you know of a lemon law for fourwheelers? I payed too much money for this unit to have problem that cannot be corrected.
thanks
ML

Old 11-12-2003, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi ML, I can relate to how you are feeling. I did a lot of research prior to buying and felt I was buying the best on the market for my needs. My Outlander is making a terrible clunking noise too. One of the noises has been from the rear suspension and it is a simple fix under warranty. I've had mine fixed twice now for that noise. Just got it back this past Friday. The first fix lasted about 2 months. Time will tell on this time around. The other metal banging/clanging noise was first thought to be the driveline slack noise BUT in conversations with Fourlix it maybe the clutch instead???? We will be pursuing this possibility with our dealer as well as the Bomb rep. As I've told the rep, it is very upsetting/embarassing to hear this nice machine make such a terrible noise. Takes the riding enjoyment out of it.

I DO RECOMMEND that you file a complaint with Bombardier and get a case number. This will protect you in the future if you LOG YOUR quad problem with them. That came right from one of the Reps at Bombardier. We need to do more than complain to each other about our disatisfaction and the problems with these quads. If they get enough complaints from us I would HOPE that they do something about our problems. HERE IS the toll free number for Bombardier 800/882-2900. Good luck and keep us posted!!

Quick Reply: Any Outlander 400HO Owners Out There?