CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

what's this in the oil tank??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's this in the oil tank??

i haven't been riding for about a week and today i start up my machine and check the oil. around the some of the threads on the oil dip-stick and at the top of the oil tank is this white creamy scum. not much but a little. it has been getting much cooler here (below freezing) and it is quite damp here as well too. i am running the proper oil for the temperature here. my machine seems to be running very well, only about 30 hours on it. i also took a light and tryed to look down into the oil in the tank, there doesn't seem to be any white stuff in the oil only at the top of the tank, but i can't see all that well. is this normal? should i drop the oil out of the engine to see if is contaminated? nothing coming out of the weep hole.

Old 10-26-2003, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

That is radiator coolant (Antifreeze).

Could be bad seals in waterpump or bad head gasket.

Check your weephole to see if your losing coolant.

Jeff

Old 10-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

The white stuff will stay on top because it is lighter than oil, hence the gravity will pull the oil down and leave the white stuff on top.

Old 10-26-2003, 11:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

stop now and go get water seals for the water pump it is a pain to clean that stuff out if you let it go.

Old 10-26-2003, 11:24 AM
Range Rover

is it possible that maybe water is coming in via the dip stick hole and just contaminating the oil at the top of the tank? it is very wet here now when i ride.

Old 10-26-2003, 11:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

once or twice i've seen a little milky oil on the threads of the dipstick, but the oil itself was not milky. maybe moisture or condensation. my head was sealed and the water pump seals were fine.

Old 10-26-2003, 11:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i think we all wished for that but the oil gets hot and will evaporate the water that is way the white is at the top the steam thing. don't worry its a easy fix.

Old 10-26-2003, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

only 30 hrs on an 04. That does seem a little to soon for the seals to have gone already. Go ahead and order the seals. You will need them eventually any way and they are cheap. I would dump the oil. Clean the top area of the tank and the dip stick real good. Replace the oil. Ride hard and check the area again for signs of milky oil. If you find none then it was moisture from a place other than the seals. If it is milky, then you need to replace the seals with the ones you just ordered.

Old 10-26-2003, 01:41 PM
cop
Pro Rider

Take it to your dealer and let HIM order all the seals because your machine is still uder warranty[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2003, 01:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

I would clean the OIL res filter no matter what, due to threads of stuff in the oil. It could clog the filter and then youll have a whole new prob on your hands. Do not count on dealer to clean oil res filter, I would do it yourself just to be safe.

Quick Reply: what's this in the oil tank??