CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Anybody wear a street helmet in the cold?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody wear a street helmet in the cold?

I'm thinking about getting a reasonably priced street helmet for the idea that it should seal out more cold air than an open faced helmet. I like to extend my riding throughout the winter even into the single digit temps, looking for words of wisdom from those using street helmets in the winter. Do they fog easily? Do they really keep that much more cold air out? Good or bad idea?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, they keep the cold out. At least on a bike. I have never tried one on a quad although at our local park lots of people use them. It will probably fog up, but using an anti-fog coating and leaving one of the vents open may cure this. When I ride in the winter I alway just wear a balaclava under my helment. This is thin enough to still get the helmet on, I can still wear my goggles, and even stay warm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Hope this helps.

Justin

Old 10-28-2003, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

Here in Canada, I were my summer helmet (Bombardier helmet purchases with Baja) all winter with smith googles and a face mask and absolutely no fogging nor is my face every cold and let me tell you it get fiercly cold up here

Old 10-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

we just get a face mask for skiing it works great. look at snowmoblie helmets also, they have a little different design.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

The guys I know that have snowmobiles all just use regular open-face MX style helmets and a good pair of goggles.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:44 AM
KGB
Pro Rider

I do. I have a nice Bell street helmet and it works nice in the winter. I use it alot to ride sleds too. I sometimes ride w/ open face on the sled, but it gets cold when that powder gets up in there and on your nose, and its all cramped wearing a face mask and goggles. I really like my street bike full facer. My woman starts wearing hears as soon as the fall hits.

Old 10-28-2003, 07:04 PM
Range Rover

Thats just what I was looking for, many thanks. I think I'll bust out the visa now, looking at an HJC AC-11 in Yellow, of course![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2003, 07:06 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Thats the helmet my woman has, even in yellow! Its a nice lid, highly recommended!

Old 10-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

I use a Bieffe snowmobile helmet in the winter. I wear a thin face mask with it and it works pretty good.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

i bought a bieffe dual sport helmet, the on wit a peak and a sield, work decent, but this year i'll be using my bros old skidoo helmet, well i wouldn't say old, its like 3 years, but compared to his new modular helmet its old, god tha helmet is saweet!!!, but his old helmet still works good, which works out for me, got a smokin deal on it, hehe, but back to the original question, YES they do help alot, just get one with a breath deflector to prevent it from fogging up,