CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I'm lost!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm lost!!!

does the jet on the stock '00 ds carb look like a screw w/ a hole in it?

where's the jet located and how do i get to it to put a different one in?

where's the air/fuel mixture screw....

i've been looking the past 2 days for answers to all of these questions and i'm stumped, i don't wanna unscrew too many things on the carb just to find out i was going after the whole thing the wrong way.

thanks in advance.

Old 10-30-2003, 01:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default I'm lost!!!

Yes, the jet does.

For the stock carb pull it off the bike if you have never changed a jet. You will need an impact driver from Kregan or some other autoparts store (about $13). There are 4 small phillips head screws that hold the bowl on. Take those off and you will find the jets. The carb needs to be on a hard surface to use the impact driver. Once you have done this, replace the screws with cap head allen screws.

Don't mess with your fuel adjustment screw. That is just for the first 1/8 throttle after that it is primarily needle and main jet.

Do a search for Mikuni Tuning Guide on here and you should find a link to one that will give you advise for how to tune your quad.

Why are you looking to change jetting? Does it not want to start??? Have you adjusted your valves? Not a hard task but, sounds like you may be a little new at this thing and I wouldn't suggest you do it yourself.

Did you add a pipe / air filter, is that why you want to re-jet? Or perhaps change in altitude or cooler weather? For these situations, yes you will want to change out your jet. Don't ask me what you should run unless you give us a detailed description of what you have done to your quad.

Old 10-30-2003, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default I'm lost!!!

wow, thanks for all the info!!!

i bought one of mrhp's endcap and he also sold me a jet and i got a screw w/ a hole in it ( apperently the jet).

i need to put it in and wasn't sure how exactly ho to go about it.

other than the endcap the machine is totally stock right now.

thanks, sam.

Old 10-30-2003, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider
Default I'm lost!!!

You will be very happy with that endcap, just like i am with mine. Youll love the power and the sound it creates. You will need some patience trying to get them screws off the carb They are a pain, but atleast you only have to deal with them screws once.

RoughRider01

Old 10-30-2003, 01:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default I'm lost!!!

roughrider or anyone - the jet that is in the machine now is a 160, will a 170 jet make that much of a difference. taking off the whole carb sounds like it's one of those things that would take me a whole afternoon.

i must agree, it sounds amazing. i didn't ride it but did start it. alot better than the tin can noise it used to make.

just in case how will i know if it's running rich/lean. so i can look for it this weekend at the dunes?

thanks, sam.

Old 10-30-2003, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default I'm lost!!!

JMO...using an impact driver isn't the easiest way to get those screws out...no offense DuneMe...vice grips (a small pair and or needle nose type) work the best--at least you won't need two sets of hands or hurt yourself with the hammer like me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Definately get rid of those stock bowl screws.

Congrats on the endcap...let the good times get a little better!

Jim

Old 10-30-2003, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default I'm lost!!!

The first time you take the carb off it is intimidating--unless of course you've been doing this type of thing all your life--BUT, once you've done it once it gets better...

The worst part of taking off the carb, and I sure I'll get some agreement here, would have to be taking loose the throttle cable (at the carb only)...pain in the ****! Take your time and don't loose the little brass keeper in the carb and please ask for help if you have any problems...we like to help!

Jim

Old 10-30-2003, 02:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default I'm lost!!!

thanks, i'll probly take you up on that help.

you guys know of any online owners manuals?

if you don't know of any manuals, u got detailed directions about taking the carb off? i'm thinking i'm going to have to find a manual b-4 i start this disassembly.

w/ the endcap, will the 160 jet i have right now make anyproblems while ridding this weekend. instead of putting the 170 in which mrhp requested? is there a very big differenc between the two?

sam.

Old 10-30-2003, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default I'm lost!!!

If you are on a dial-up connection don't go here, high-speed definately go! That's the page (from the manual) you need to remove the throttle cable from the carb. Ebay/"bombardier" has the manual on disk for $20. If you have a fax you probably could get someone here to fax you that page--I don't have my manual with me or I'd do it.

Old 10-30-2003, 04:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default I'm lost!!!

sam,

I would recomend changing the jet, and yeah if this is your first shot removing a carburetor give yourself an afternoon - if you have any trouble post here and someone should answer quick.

So far people have listed an impact wrench as well as vice grips for removing the screws from the carburetor. I've done two in my life & I didn't use either of those methods. The method I used which worked best for me was to simply find the correct size drill bit (slightly larger than 4mm in diameter) and drill the head of the screw off taking care not to drill into the carburetor itself. Once all four screw heads are off, easilty remove the bowl and use a pair of pliars to remove the remaining piece of screw. Then as stated before replace those screws with allen head screws. (You'll need three 4mm x 10mm and one 4mm x 12mm stainless steel allen head screws.)

To check your jetting (which you should do to see if the #170 main jet is even the correct size - you could end up needing a larger or smaller jet depending on altitude, air temperature and your machine itself) You'll need to examine the color of the spark plugs. white color on the electrode (most people say to look at the porcelean part just below the electrode instead) means that the engine is running lean, which is bad. a light coffee color brown is perfect, dark brown into black or even wet black is rich, very rich, and way way too rich! I strongly suggest performing a search for the work jetting and you should get a lot of hits, then take a look at some of the posts as you'll find detailed instructions on how to do it and what to look for.

The good thing is once you've taken the carburetor off once and replaced the screws you've now made your machine easy to jet. with a little practice, you should be able to change the jetting with the carburetor on the ATV in about five minutes. (Some people say they can do it faster, but five minutes is a good average estimate.) At this point, be glad you have a DS650 instead of a Raptor - the Raptor takes between 30 - 60 minutes to jet depending on the mechanic doing the work.

Quick Reply: I'm lost!!!