CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

installing mikuni 45mm carb-help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing mikuni 45mm carb-help?

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! With the right persuasion, as indicated by ironrod, the biggest supplier of the TM45 - RWR - is now going to sell them set up to do what they were designed to do from the very beginning by Mikuni!!

I strongly encourage every TM owner to either aquire the info to properly tune his pumper, or send it to RWR for tweekage, because this feature is truly what this carb is all about, especially in the woods trails where you constantly want to pop the front end over logs, rocks, etc. with a quick blip of the throttle and no added effort or advanced thought.

Old 11-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

you were right ------i bought my carb from rwr and it is missing about 18 dollers worth of parts to get the pump to work.lol figures

Old 11-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Hold on there bigshow, you can request the parts anytime for free. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . But adjusting the pump is the real trick.

Old 11-05-2003, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

When you order a kit as i did stage 1 it looks like it would save alot of trouble if they asked a few questions. Is there a downside to act the pump ? If not why are they selling the kits with the pump not act

Old 11-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

I dont know of any downside to activating the pump. I feel that Ron Wood Racing just never figured it out, so they removed the pump parts altogether and sold them as a race (high rpm) carb. The pump can be intimidating for anyone - because it is infinatly adjustable. Which can be a problem when trying to adjust the pump correctly to the Rotax motor. For those that have the carb without the pump activated, they can probably re-tune your carb for a price. Or, get the numbers, pump parts, and 50 jet and try it yourself. But a warning: You'll need an electronic caliper to measure the distance of the two set screws on the pump. If you don't have one - forget it.

Old 11-08-2003, 02:59 AM
Trailblazer

I called he seamed a less than enthusiastic that i called he started off by saying i can see this is going to be a problem i told no problem i am trying to get the carb tuned he said to set one screw at.o10 gap and the other at .055 he was a little vague i finally got it after ajusting it seveal times the .010 i understand screw for ajusting rod gap it is the .055 i didnot understand

mike

Old 11-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

This is the whole problem with activating the pump - 95% of us riders do not understand how to adjust it even when told over the phone. So, we call again and again. I bet they wont be offering this service now for very much longer --- too bad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

For those that have no experience with carbs, get the settings, the pump parts and the 50 jet and take it to a qualified mechanic and have him activate your pump. PLEASE!

Old 11-08-2003, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

i called him yesterday and he was the same to me-he tryed to talk me out of the pump,he said the only reason people use them is for burping the throttle................................but i paid the money to be able to burp the throttle if i wanted to. it kinda pissed me off that he didnt sent those parts the first time. ecspesially because they advertised the accel pump with there carb. i dont know-life gos on

Old 11-08-2003, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

I personally would not purchase anything that did not have technical support to go along with it. This is wrong for an aftermarket supplier to offer something and basically say "your on your own". The lucky few that are on this board have people like Hightower and ironrod who have spent their own personal time and money figuring out how to make this carb work. What about the others who have to just "deal with it". If RW cant figure out, or wont spend enough time to figue out how to activate the pump, then what else has he not figured out! It's our job as the consumer to force personal service on the supplier. The way we force personal service is to go to the supplier who provides personal service and isn't just interested in our check book! A business man should take pride in a job well done, NOT in a fat wallet. Thats my .02 worth. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

MrHorsepower

Old 11-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

What needs to happen is that RWR needs to create an upgrade "do it yourself' package for those that have the TM45 without the pump activated. They would get the instructions and measurements of the pump adjustment, the pump parts, and the 50 jet. It should sell for around $25. Thats cheap, and would cover thier cost of taking the orders. They could also offer a service to activate the pump as well. This would be for those that can't upgrade the carb themselves. Send in your carb and for $80 for parts and the mechanic's time, you get your pump activated.

JMHO

Quick Reply: installing mikuni 45mm carb-help?