CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Well Lilnotts..... I just bent my valves on my DS too... DAMMIT!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well Lilnotts..... I just bent my valves on my DS too... DAMMIT!

Well after adjusting my valves I put it back together and ran it for awhile. I knew something was wrong because it didn't have any power. So I guessed that I had my timing a couple teeth retarded. I took it back apart tonight after school to find the timing was off so I attepted to get it right... About 6 times later I figured I had it. So call me dumb or whatever you want I just bumped the start button real quick and it spun more than expected and "thump, clack!" I got extreamly pissed off at myself because of my frickin stupidity of even attempting to hit the start button. So I lined the marks up and finally got it timed right and turned it over by hand and everytime the exhaust valves closed they ticked pretty loud. What happend it spun past the compression stroke and slammed into the exhaust valves on the exhaust stroke so here I am!....

Now I need some dire help here... ESPECIALLY FROM YOU lilnotts, if you would. Now I need some valves so where can I get them for cheapest? How much are they?

Now my Dad says I need to send my head out to have them put in because they needed to be "ceated" before putting it together. I need to know if i can just buy valves and put them in or is my Dad correct on sending my head out? Do I need new valve ceats too or just 2 exhaust valves? I will be pulling my head off after school tomorrow so PLEASE HELP ME!.... *Kicks himself in the head because he knows better!*[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 11-03-2003, 10:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

don't be so hard on yourself.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

well heres wat you'll need
2-intake o-rings-293300059 (yours might be still good)
4-head stud nuts-233101414(dealer had 6 for me, good thing, me n my bro stripped 2 gettin the head tight)
2-vavle seals-420230510(thats for the intake but don't think theres any different in seals)
1-base gasket-420650060
1-head gasket-420650020
1-thermostat gasket-420650010
1-rings-420295184(might as well put new rings while ur in there)
2-exhaust gaskets-707600069(dont' take the small part of the headpipe off, thats an expensive gasket, but it is a pain to get the header off and back on,)
i got my valves from webcams, $48US for the intakes, and they're stainless with nitroneg coating on it, here
i also had to get 2 intake vavle guides from RWR at 15 a piece, and then they need to be pressed out so i just took it to a local machine shop that just does motors and they did that had the new vavles reseated and lapped for $50CA

and trust me man, prepare to take a nice dent in the ol wallet, hope you have some money saved, i was pretty pissed wen i found out, coulda had those tracks by like mid november if i didn't

edit:sandman, try sharing it with and older brother who can kick ur a$$ easily and finding this out, good thing i have been shavin up otherwise i think i would been missin a few front teeth

Old 11-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks a million lilnotts... This sucks massivly cuz I'm broke.... I guess I'll have to try and borrow some more from my Dad.... I owe him over $1000 already.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Well I took the head off. I have 4 "little" smile marks on the piston. the valves don't have a scratch but my Dad said when we take the valves out we would probably be able to see if they're bent or whatever. But will the valves be bent even if I can't see it now? Cuz they look fine... I figured they would look like hell.

So I'm assuming I'll just need valves? Is reusing the head gasket a no no, because I just put one in it this spring? I don't need manifold o-rings, and I'm not putting new rings on my piston because someone will be sending me a 11.5:1 piston in about a month so i'll be taking it all apart again. What else will I need before I send my head somewhere to get the valves installed?

Old 11-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Well I took the head off. I have 4 "little" smile marks on the piston. the valves don't have a scratch but my Dad said when we take the valves out we would probably be able to see if they're bent or whatever. But will the valves be bent even if I can't see it now? Cuz they look fine... I figured they would look like hell.

So I'm assuming I'll just need valves? Is reusing the head gasket a no no, because I just put one in it this spring? I don't need manifold o-rings, and I'm not putting new rings on my piston because someone will be sending me a 11.5:1 piston in about a month so i'll be taking it all apart again. What else will I need before I send my head somewhere to get the valves installed?

Old 11-04-2003, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I'll add my sorry a$$ post too - One of my exhaust valves got bent. Looks like I was running a little rich on the low end and got some carbon build-up. No damage to the rod or piston.

Old 11-04-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

well on mine you could easily see it,vavles and don't forget valve seals, and for the head gasket i've heard of a few guys reusing it but i would rather be safe then sorry on this one, i've already had enough down time,when you take your valves out make sure to CHECK YOUR VALVE GUIDES FOR CRACKS, it added over a week more of down time for me, and my bro and i put the valves in ourselves, just used a large c clamp with a u piece welded to it, this would cut costs for ya too, i just had the machine shop seat the valves and install new vavle guides, put them back in ourselves, if i think of anything else let me know, n feel free to pm me if ya have any questions

Old 11-05-2003, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

I have a friend that does head work... I'm having him do everything. Thanks again lilnotts!