CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Dirt Drag Tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Drag Tire

BTW I have holeshots for my Raptor and I wish I got the Shredders instead.

Old 11-07-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Drag Tire

Monkeybutt track is a grass track with a clay based soil launch area.
Traction is most times too good. With a cv carb, trying to keep rpm's up so as to get good 100' times is difficult. I just got some new carb springs to try out and hope that will help bottom end.
I would like to gear lower for more bottem end, but with a 14 tooth sprocket up front I will run out of gear on top. Do not want to shift into 5th gear. Thus I need a tire with fair traction and good growth.

Old 11-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Drag Tire

my shredders hooked up good when i got them but now that they are wearing down (the tread is still fairly deep) they just don't hook up. the 4 snows and pro wedges grow a lot. on my friends banshee he has mud busters. those grow a ton but it may just be the high revving nature of the banshee. he really likes the way they hook up there tho. i'd suggest giving those a try since their significantly cheaper and easier to find than both the 4 snows and pro wedges. maybe you saw me at monkey butt. i've got the yellow 400ex thats slammed both front and back and i'm running just bars in the front instead of suspension. i'm usually there with a guy with a red one slammed similar to mine and the guy that won the blaster class at the last event. also hes got a banshee and i was there with another friend that had a black 400ex with a lime green frame.
slamming my quad front and back is the best thing i ever did to gain an advantage at the drags. i'd suggest doing it with your DS. if it weren't for those girls in the 400EX class (who i am pretty sure cheat by the way lol) i'd be doin pretty good haha. maybe i'll see ya at the next one!

Old 11-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dirt Drag Tire

You absolutely cant hook better than a Radial tire. We run the Dunlop radials like what comes on the Raptor. They are about the same as an Ohtsu. You can run them down until they look about half flat and they will flat hook up!(no pun intended) The radial tire holds onto the rim and wont spin off unless you powerslide hard or something like that.Bubba

Old 11-08-2003, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Drag Tire

Contact patch is important. The Ohtsu and Raptor tire are the best in my opinion for a trail style tire (20"). They are light and not a lot of contact patch. Lots of space between the lugs. The Shredders and Holeshots have a bigger contact patch. Not much space between the lugs. Each of these tires have their place. A grass track is perfect for these style tire. Also have to remember tire pressure. Need more spin just get them tight. Let it out to hook up. Ive tried all types and I still say for drag racing on dirt and shallow sand the 4Snows cant be beat. Ive got about 6 sets for various types of terrain. Heres my list
Dunlop radials (Raptor style) for riding dirt and trails with not much rock
Dunlops (Warrior style) for riding in rough terrain because I dont mind if they are cut up
4snows for drags in dirt and light sand dont use for general use because they wear fast
Skat Trak Haulers 22x11x10 for sand
Goodyear flat track tires for my few trips to the asphalt drags

Old 11-08-2003, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Drag Tire

Do 4snows come in a 20"?
Now that we have struts on the front, my goal is to be able to launch in 2nd gear and only have to shift twice. Need to spin tires for launching till revs are up to maintain forward motion without wheelying.
MrHorsepower has got it down to a science, but he is allowed to use a weeliebar. In stock class where we race you cannot use one. At the lasr drags in september, Doug Nicholas from Iowa came and he ran 4snows. He said he had too much wheel spin in 1st gear. He still won and I'll have to admit he has a very fast Predator. With new carb springs, modded cdi and tires I hope to be able to 2nd gear launch and only shift twice. I can only gear down to a 14 tooth front sprocket and if I use too tall a tire(22"),
I do not think I can launch hard enough. 20 or 21 inch is needed.

Old 11-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Drag Tire

you put the shredders on your quad and i will put the ohtsu's on my quad lets race and watch me take the holeshot on you stage 3 720 it don't matter? ohtsu's best next 2 4-snows

Old 11-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Drag Tire

Quadman is right. The Ohtsu's are the best tire for hook-up period. The Dunlop (Raptor style) are the next best. Not to mention if you don't want a squishy tire like the Pro-wedges or 4 snows in the winter, the Ohtsu's and Dunlop(Raptor style) the absolute best for snow. BUT, I have never seen anyone run Pro-wedges or 4 snows on dirt, grass before so I couldn't judge them other than winter use. But I'm just saying what I do know, the Ohtsu's and raptor style Dunlops are the best.... Although they wear very quick!

Old 11-08-2003, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Drag Tire

You should be able to lauch in 2nd no problem. I can with stock gearing. The 4snows have so many options. Run them frontwards or backwards and the air pressure makes alot of difference. Just gotta do some experimenting. Good luck

Old 11-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dirt Drag Tire

When I ran 14/40 gearing and 4-Snows I took off in 2nd but had to hit 5th about 30' from the finish line. That was shifting at 7250 rpms with stock engine. I think 15/43 would be perfect to finish in 4th at a good high rpm, haven't got to try yet.

Quick Reply: Dirt Drag Tire