CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

10 Service - Concern?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10 Service - Concern?

I dropped my 04 X off this morning at my dealer for the 10 hour service. I get a call at 4:30 in the afternoon, the service guy asks me if my oil light was on (staying on all the time) when I brought it in. The answer is NO, it always shuts off two seconds after I started the Rotax, each and every time I may add. He tells me they changed the oil and bled (bleed screw) twice and the oil light is staying on. WTF? I'm a white-collar guy who's change the oil once myself and the light went off after 7 or 8 seconds after my first change. He tells me the service tech took it out for a spin and the light stayed on the whole time. I have no clue as to how long the tech test rode the machine with the light on. Now I wonder if I will have problems down the road if the engine wasn't under full pressure when the tech was buzzing it around.

Can you trust anyone, even the service guys at the dealerships? Man I'm ticked[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would surely have them not start it anymore! It sounds like they have failed to purge the oil system or they managed to get the sender wet..?? Did they wash it? I thought all the oil bleed crap was over after the 02 model. Time for the dealer to hook up a guage and check to see if maybe the light is malfunctioning.

Old 11-15-2003, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Lads, that light can be

1) Oil Pressure Switch (Faulty)
2) Actual Low Oil Pressure
3) Overheating (Unlikely)
4) Thermostat (Faulty)

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2003, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Dude, your service guy is an idiot!!! hmmm... never heard that before [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
You should demand that they do an oil pressure test and you should be there to witness it. If no oil pressure, they owe you a new engine. Take pictures and keep lots of notes because if there is no pressure, even though the engine still runs, it has definately sustained bearing damage and will be short lived. Its probably fine and just a sending unit problem but I wouldn't take anything back to that shop

Old 11-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called the dealers service department this morning to ask if they figured out what was going on. They said the oil sensor needed to be replaced. My receipt shows the sensor and .5/hr of time to replace, under warranty. I find that hard to believe the sensor went bad, considering the light was not an issue before I brought it in. I suppose there's a statistical chance that something happened when they changed the oil. I'll have to pay attention to how the engine is running for the next hour of ride time.

Customer Service: I'm not pleased with the old oil which is now all over the frame skid plate, nurf bar netting and steering components from draining (engine and resivor). When I changed my oil for the first time, I used a drain tub and cleaned off any excess spillage (what little there was).

There's another Bomb dealer I'll try the next time I see a need to take it in for any type of service. I just don't get it; it shouldn't be difficult to find good service. If you come back there's $$$ to be made.