CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

To all you newbees out there...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all you newbees out there...

wakeboardsam,

Just be glad you owned a DS and not a Raptor. That would have taken you 10x longer to do.

Yes the forums are a great place to get advice and info... for FREE!! =D

Old 11-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, but the valve adjustment on the Raptor is much easier. I did my valves on the Pred (shims under bucket) and the next week did my friends Raptor (adjusters on rocker) wow what a difference. It seems that the DS is pretty easy to get to everything except the valves?????

Old 11-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

You should be able to pick up the allen head screws at any home depot. if not then I would bet you have a lowes.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigJon
You should be able to pick up the allen head screws at any home depot. if not then I would bet you have a lowes.
They will be steel not stainless.

Orchard has them!

If you really want them in stainless go to McMaster Carr. You'll have to order a box of either 50 or 100 (can't remember which it is.)
McMaster-Carr
Do a search for Socket Cap Screw
18-8 Stainless is fine (a little less expensive than 316 Stainless.
(I don't remember the size so. . . don't ask me (I think M4-8???)

Take the stockers out of the carb and take them to Orchard Supply where you can match them up with the steel ones they have there (also watch the pitch - some sizes have two different pitches). Once you have the size you can order them from McMaster to get the stainless ones.

Definitely put them in tight (there is a lot of vibration on these bikes!)

Also, if you don't alread have some. . . go get some Blue Loctite at your local auto-parts store. I wouldn't use it on the carb bowl but, you'll want to use it on any of the frame / plastic bolts and many more.

As for the work. . . how mechanically inclined are you?

I am real new to this too - when I first got my DS I had never changed a jet and it probably took me well over two hours (screws were stuck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] ) I can now pull the head and cylinder without any problems.

The best thing is to try to make a new friend!!! Someone that doesn't mind coming over and watching you work while you feed them a few beers and can point things out as you do the work. Do it once or twice and you'll be a pro!

You wouldn't believe me as to how far you can go if you get some good guidance.

Old 11-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you buy the screws online, get the 316 - they are only a few pennies more for 50 of them. I bought some online, however the next day Do-It Center had Stainless steel metric bolts in droves and I could buy them on, two or three bolts at a time. Also True Value has a good selection of metric. Home Depot and Lowes DO NOT carry ANY metric bolts (of any type as far as I've seen.) It's amazing a HUGE store like that doesn't carry metric bolts. I think if you aren't sure which local hardware store will have them, call & see if they have a good selection of metric bolts first, the person on the phone probably wont know enough about bolts to say if they actually have the bolts you need or not.

Old 11-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[qThe best thing is to try to make a new friend!!! Someone that doesn't mind coming over and watching you work while you feed them a few beers and can point things out as you do the work. Do it once or twice and you'll be a pro!

You wouldn't believe me as to how far you can go if you get some good guidance.[/quote]

DuneMe: Would you be my new friend? I have cases upon cases of Budweiser for your personal disposal. I live in Saginaw, MI. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

every home depot I've been in sells metric bolts in a small supply, they are in a cabinet with drawers. I do not know that they are stainless though.

Old 11-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TheOz
[qThe best thing is to try to make a new friend!!! Someone that doesn't mind coming over and watching you work while you feed them a few beers and can point things out as you do the work. Do it once or twice and you'll be a pro!

You wouldn't believe me as to how far you can go if you get some good guidance.

DuneMe: Would you be my new friend? I have cases upon cases of Budweiser for your personal disposal. I live in Saginaw, MI. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][/quote]

lol. . . Come on down after work. . . the garage will be open! Just about 3000 miles away!

Old 11-17-2003, 10:11 PM
EAB
Pro Rider

Hey BLACKHAWK, whats spelunking?

Old 11-17-2003, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

Oooh oooh I know Iknow....spelunking...my brother was one of the those back when we were kids in school he was the SPELUNKING!!! He always won the spelling B tourny.

Some might define it as cave explorin...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: To all you newbees out there...