CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lectron 44 ... issues..need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003 | 02:49 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Lectron 44 ... issues..need help

Okay in my forever daunting and seemingly infinitive task of me slapping this DS back together... I ran into a kink.

Has anyone ran the stock thumb throttle and cable with thier Lectron carb? One issue I'm having (and it's a serious safety concern) is that where the cable meets the carb it's not fastened to the carb secure enough. Basically one good jar and the thing can inadvertently keep me at a throttle position I do not intend. What is the fix for this? Also even tho I have grinded out the sides of the thumb throttle housing and the cable arm inside the thumb throttle it doesn't seem to open all the way.

Old 12-14-2003 | 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

I am running the Lectron carb with a thumb throttle on my DS. I got my lectron and cable from Mr. HP. I don't clearly understand when you say that, "one good jar and the thing can inadvertently keep me at a throttle position I do not intend." The spring in the slide should return it to idle position. I am not using the spring in the thumb throttle and feel the slide spring has enough tension to prevent the throttle from sticking.

As far as getting full motion of the carb, the best way is to do a visual check. If you are running a clamp on filter remove the filter to view the slide. With the throttle cable disconnected view the slide position, it should be all the way down. With the cable attached to the thumb throttle check the slide position. Make sure the cable is not being "pre-tensioned" causing a false idle position. Next press the thumb throttle all the way open, The slide position should all the way up so the slide does not protrude into the bore of the carb. If the slide is hanging low, you need to find out what is the limiting factor. Maybe the throttle need some more material ground away or the cable needs adjusting.

Old 12-14-2003 | 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

I to have gotten my carb & cable from MoR. Horse/Power & have no problems with it not opening all the way. I guess it takes a special touch! I know I'm happy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] IMO the lectrons are the way to go. I think with the lectron carb & stock thumb throttle you will need a custom cable & modded thumb throttle housing IMO.

Old 12-14-2003 | 07:18 PM
|
Pro Rider

Sand,

My concern is what holds the throttle cable in place within the carb. I sent my Lectron to MisterHP and he gave me a cable but it seems too long and some parts of it seem illogical (no offense Eric!!). So I'm somewhat stuck using the stock thumb throttle cable. Another issue I have is that it seems like it has to loop in kind of funky to get in there. I will take pics and post them on my gallery page to see what I'm talking about.

When depress the thumb throttle to maximum there is about 1/8th - 1/4 of the slide blocking the bore of the carb. If I'm going to give my Stage III bud a run for his money I want all the top this thing can give me.

Old 12-14-2003 | 07:21 PM
|
Pro Rider

COUNTRYJOEGLASS,

Is there a way to contact Mr. Horsepower? I PM him and no response. I'm sure he is busy. I spoke to him many times and he is a very cool guy to deal with. Very down to earth. I lost his info and phone number. He did make me a thumb throttle cable but I don't see how it's possible to use it. It has two splits in it. Again hard to explain and I will take some pics to explain my problems. Pic is worth a thousand words.

One thing I do like so far is that this thing with what I got setup now is'nt NO WHERE NEAR as difficult to push as the thumb throttle for a TM45.

Old 12-14-2003 | 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Entomber Check your PM'S

Old 12-14-2003 | 09:12 PM
|
Pro Rider

I checked the PM thanks Joe!!

Okay pics are up to best decribe my problem. I think by the time I finish Spring will be here. Well better to do it now in the downtime than when riding season kicks in.

Old 12-14-2003 | 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Old 12-14-2003 | 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Checking your pictures, I see your problem.

First problem is your throttle cable routing. Currently you have it coming out of the carb and going under the frame cross member. Route the cable over the cross member and then under the gas tank. This is the way I have mine routed and it works fine.

Second issue. It looks like your cable came apart at the adjustment union. The wire should not be exposed like that. You should be able to press it back together and when you install the cable the tension should keep it together.

Once you get it all together check and see what is limiting you from opening the carb all the way. It the thumb throttle hitting something? does it not have enough throw?

Old 12-14-2003 | 11:40 PM
|
Pro Rider

Sand and Country Joe,

I just got a hold of MisterHP and he gave me the skinny on a lot of stuff. He said he has gotten that throttle cable to work but I just butchered my old one in an attempt to make it work (the stocker). I think it's simply just too long. I will ask him to make me another one with the sheathing ALL the way thru. I also need another thumb throttle. Looks like the process has come to a dead stop. I'm going to send him a manifold, the carb, thumb throttle to get this all resolved. Darn I was looking forward to breaking it in this week.

Sand how do you like that Z400? I rode one and was impressed. I really liked the way it rode... it was more fun than the new Yammy.

Quick Reply: Lectron 44 ... issues..need help